Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Prospect

Polar Express Has earned a rub and tug from ARPolar Express Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Polar Express Has earned a rub and tug from ARPolar Express Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Just smoked a Turkey

Well, I just finished smoking a turkey. Yeah, I know I'm a day early, but.... I have to bring it to the Firehouse tomorrow, and i thought it would be smarter to smoke it at home w/o interruption, and then we'll heat it up tomorrow.

I started by soaking it in a brine with salt, brown sugar, oranges, onion, liquid smoke and garlic. Thawed it, and let it brine for ~24 hours, then smoked it in a Trager on smoke for 8-10 hours. Stuck it in the fridge overnight, and then tonight I cooked it on high till the stupid little plastic thingy popped. I'd say that took 4 hours or so.

I'll post up how it turned out. Who knows, it may suck. But... it sure looks good on the outside!

PE

'06 Ram CTD
'91YJ
'11 PRO
'08 D7

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 AM
REBEL

yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Most foks that smoke turkeys take the plastic temp thing out and then stick a meat thermometer in it for temps. Check out "thesmokering.com" for lots of smoking tips.

What wood did you use? I went with Hickory and injected my rub in to it, along with the butter and basting cheese cloth on top of it. good stuff...I'm also going to boil up the carcass and make some killer soup stock...has that smokey flavor...mmmmm....good stuff!

give a shout about how it turned out...I'm curious with basically cooking it 2 times....what temp did your traeger run at?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Prospect

OK folks, this turned out WOW!

I started with a brine for ~24 hours. The brine was pretty simple, brown sugar, salt, onion, and some liquid smoke.

Then, I started the smoking in the morning. Got the trager up to temp, and backed the dial down to smoke, and loaded the bird in. I left the plastic thinggy in. I smoked it with hickory pellets for 8-9 hours. On smoke, it doesnt use much pellets. But, I checked the hopper about every hour to make sure.

then, I pulled it off, and put it in the fridge overnight. Then, the next day, I fired up the smoker again, this time on like 350-400 I think. (I should have payed better attention) But, I cooked it until that popper popped up. It took about 4-5 hours. Then, I pulled it off, and back in the fridge.

The next day, (Thanksgiving) I was working at the fire station - that's why I had to cook it in advance. We were stupid busy. So, I stuck this thing in a tabletop roasting oven, with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, and turned it on to about 250.

The steam warmed the turket thoughout, and got it moist again. So, we had a moist, smoked turkey for dinner at the station.

We had several folks that said it was the best turkey they had ever tried.

Normally, I'm a white-meat guy, but the dark meat took the smoke better than the white meat. The white meat was still very good, just had less smoke than the dark.

Then the ass hats burned my apple crisp.

PE

'06 Ram CTD
'91YJ
'11 PRO
'08 D7

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

heh chit I did one too

stuck the turkey in a brine solution, salt and some other crap I tossed in for good measure...let it sit in the bucket in the garage over night rinsed her off then on the bbq with some rub

used hickory pellets as well, smoked like I dunno 7ish hours, then upped the temp to medium? until the meat therm said it was done

turned out good, deffinatly wanna do some experementin with this

need to find a better rub, I was pressed for time and didn't plan ahead
next time I'll inject for flavor, the bird was moist enough but this would help some too.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
REBEL

Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP
Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP

I did one also...
Injected it w/ a cajun-butter-garlic mix
stuffed an onion in the cavity
on the grill w/ apple chips @ 325deg for about 3hrs.
165deg. in the brest !
Damn good and very moist
Used to fry them all the time.......... might not ever do that again after having the smoked one!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
REBEL

DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR
DKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from ARDKY Has earned a rub and tug from AR

how big were your all's birds?

I did a small turkey, but got a big fugger in the freeze gonna do next
Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
REBEL

Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP
Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP

mine was 14lbs!!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 PM

rmk_racer Has earned a rub and tug from ARrmk_racer Has earned a rub and tug from ARrmk_racer Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I did one as well. Soaked it in a brine of water, apple juice, salt, brown sugar, worcestershire, garlic, and pepper for 24 hours. Then smoked it at 250 for ~6 hours. Same 165 degree internal temp. Bird was 10 pounds. Best turkey ever, fryer will probably never get used again!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ