Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Just Got Here

The Summit-XP Has earned a rub and tug from ARThe Summit-XP Has earned a rub and tug from ARThe Summit-XP Has earned a rub and tug from ARThe Summit-XP Has earned a rub and tug from ARThe Summit-XP Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 800 P-tek break in

I just bought a '10 summit with the P-tek 800 motor. I have been told the break in period is programmed into the ECU. I am curious what I can expect from the sled and what everyone else experienced with there sleds during the break in period. Any input is appreciated. Anyone do anything other than just ride it easy and avoid long periods of WOT.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Prospect

BDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from AR

difference between break in and BROKE in was very slight on my '10, Difference is just a rich mixture.
Ride it easy to break belt in - then not.
99 Summit X mod
4 other Summits
2 tractors and a Horse
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Prospect

Husqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from ARHusqvarna Has earned a rub and tug from AR

"Then not' well put, I love it. X2 on "then not"
Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 PM
REBEL

Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP
Anylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLPAnylizer Offical PLP

Hmmm. I find it interesting that somebody would "break-in" $150 belt, but "NOT" a $4000 engine... But to each his own!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM

steveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsteveo10 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

give're some full throttle now and then to seat the rings

doesn hurt to add a little oil in the fuel for the first 3 tanks
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Prospect

BDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from ARBDA Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Sorry, should have been more clear -

Belt requires "no load" break in (20-30 miles ?)

Rings in the engine are commonly what we "break in", so to break in properly the rings need to be fully seated against the side of the cylinder wall.

To seat the rings to the cylinder wall for the best compression over the life of the engine - warm up engine to normal op temp first - not at idle

Do not let sled sit and idle

Then Ride it with varied throttle, making sure that the engine sees moderately "loaded" full throttle pulls - not to long.

If you break it in for 1 or 2 tanks of fuel - putting around at 1/4 throttle, the rings will not be expanded to the full shape of the cylinder wall and the ring wear will not seat for "FULL" compression.

You will be stuck with an under powered engine

The goal is broken in under "load".
99 Summit X mod
4 other Summits
2 tractors and a Horse
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Pull the belt off the sled, wash it with warm water and mild soap with a nylon brush. Let air dry and re-install. All belts have a "dust" on them from the factory. Clean them off.

Run the motor like normal but minimze the amount of 100% throttle pulls. I do like to hit 100%, but only for 2 or 3 seconds. Then vary the flipper often. I have a 04 800 with 8000 miles on it. I have done the top end only. The bottom has checked fine thus far.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Prospect

badapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from AR
badapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from ARbadapple Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA View Post
Sorry, should have been more clear -

Belt requires "no load" break in (20-30 miles ?)

Rings in the engine are commonly what we "break in", so to break in properly the rings need to be fully seated against the side of the cylinder wall.

To seat the rings to the cylinder wall for the best compression over the life of the engine - warm up engine to normal op temp first - not at idle

Do not let sled sit and idle

Then Ride it with varied throttle, making sure that the engine sees moderately "loaded" full throttle pulls - not to long.

If you break it in for 1 or 2 tanks of fuel - putting around at 1/4 throttle, the rings will not be expanded to the full shape of the cylinder wall and the ring wear will not seat for "FULL" compression.

You will be stuck with an under powered engine

The goal is broken in under "load".
Can you clarify the reason behind not letting the engine idle? I have always let my 800 idle for several minutes before ripping on it.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
"EDDIE GUMMER"

2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR2110 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Just a thought.....but out of 4 2007 XRS's in our group.......3 were broken in by riding them as if they were stolen out of the back of a skidoo shop from day 1.

the other was broken in by a guy that followed the manual and rode it like a sally for a while and.....well, he kind of rides like a sally a lot of the time come to think of it.....anyway, his sled lost the first engine under warranty......second engine broken in the same way and it too went down 1 year later within 100 yards where the first went down.

I would think that as long as your not holding wide open throttle for extended periods in that first hundred or so miles you're good to go. just ride it how you normally ride and don't worry about it.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Prospect

Default Idle

A "few" minutes idle for warm up is not a problem - BUT

"Break In" is what we are talking about here

So during break in, idle as little as possible (keep sled in garage so it warms up easier(faster).

Warm up can be done at lower throttle variations.

I do not let my sleds idle (after initial warm up) for several reasons -plug fouling, cylinder glaze, hot spot on belt (tight belt adjustment)

Just my policy
99 Summit X mod
4 other Summits
2 tractors and a Horse
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO