Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > YAMAHA

Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM

TripleB Has earned a rub and tug from AR
TripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Help with the M-Max

I have a 2000 Mountain max.
I have the rear off the ground and when I start it up it engages and begins to spin the track without giving it any throttle. The correct belt is on, made sure there is enough slack with the throttle, and the idle is set correct. Any Ideas? Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
REBEL

sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
sledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledin_208 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

it sounds like a clutch issue....i would start there.... whats the idle rpm's at? might check that too!

2013 polaris assualt 800
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM

snowdad4 All the rebels are in Awe of your Glory

the track rotating is normal when lifted off the ground. this assuming its but a slow rotation and you are monitoring the primary and its not actually engaging the belt, more like the belt is just going with the flow of the motor.

if the sled is high revving and the primary is actually closing on the belt, you have other issues which i can explain later.

with the sled on the ground, whats happening? any squeals or creeping? the more descriptive you can be, the more quickly the problem can be pinpointed.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Prospect

Ford428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I have a 2000 Mountain max.
I have the rear off the ground and when I start it up it engages and begins to spin the track without giving it any throttle. The correct belt is on, made sure there is enough slack with the throttle, and the idle is set correct. Any Ideas? Thanks
You want to check the Secondary to make sure your belt is adjusted correctly. I had the same damn problem. There are 3 blots on the backside of the secondary and they might have shims. You'll have to remove the shims (save the shims) and install the bolts! That should drop the belt down in the secondary (The 3 bolts push the Sheaves out) and give it enough slack so the belt wont rub on the primary and it wont act like it wants to engage. Trust me, I learned the hard way LOL

If the bolts dont have shims on them, The bolts may be wore down and need to be replaced!

Read this!!! Pg 8-12

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-02-12_487.pdf

http://www.hillsideauto.org/
www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1
http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

www.sledspace.com

Last edited by Ford428CJ; 01-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM

TripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from ARTripleB Has earned a rub and tug from AR

When the sled is on the ground there is definately squealing, and depending on the lay of the land, the sled will lurch forward a little bit at a time.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM

your belt deflection is too tight. ford actually for once offered up some good advise.

are you using the stock 8DN belt or other? did the problem arrise after replacing a belt?

you can actually set the belt to the secondary off the sled. saves a bunch of time putting the secondary and the belt back on.

heres what i do, not covered in the manual, simply wrap the belt your using around the secondary with both being off the sled. the belt should sit just above the sheaves, or the bottom(valley) of the cogs will be at the top of the sheaves. too high? remove a shim washer. too low, add a shim washer. shim washers are available in 1mm and .5mm thicknesses. have a few on hand or pick some up. i have several if you need some.

now, reinstall the secondary and the belt. you will have to spin the track a few times to bring the belt up to the top of the secondary.

next, start the sled as if you were going for a ride. if the problem still exists, your center to center is off or the alignment or offset is incorrect.

you have just been introduced to belt deflection 101 for yamaha sleds. this adjustment only works for 95- current models. pre 95 uses a different method. i am available if this procedure is needed.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Yes Im using the stock 8DN and yes the problem started after changing a belt.

Thanks for the replies, will try to get to it tommorrow.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Prospect

Ford428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from ARFord428CJ Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdad4 View Post
your belt deflection is too tight. ford actually for once offered up some good advise.

are you using the stock 8DN belt or other? did the problem arrise after replacing a belt?

you can actually set the belt to the secondary off the sled. saves a bunch of time putting the secondary and the belt back on.

heres what i do, not covered in the manual, simply wrap the belt your using around the secondary with both being off the sled. the belt should sit just above the sheaves, or the bottom(valley) of the cogs will be at the top of the sheaves. too high? remove a shim washer. too low, add a shim washer. shim washers are available in 1mm and .5mm thicknesses. have a few on hand or pick some up. i have several if you need some.

now, reinstall the secondary and the belt. you will have to spin the track a few times to bring the belt up to the top of the secondary.

next, start the sled as if you were going for a ride. if the problem still exists, your center to center is off or the alignment or offset is incorrect.

you have just been introduced to belt deflection 101 for yamaha sleds. this adjustment only works for 95- current models. pre 95 uses a different method. i am available if this procedure is needed.
Manual does cover that if you read it. But you do it installed on the sled. JMHO

http://www.hillsideauto.org/
www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1
http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

www.sledspace.com
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM
REBEL

Beels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLP
Beels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLPBeels Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford428CJ View Post
You want to check the Secondary to make sure your belt is adjusted correctly. I had the same damn problem. There are 3 blots on the backside of the secondary and they might have shims. You'll have to remove the shims (save the shims) and install the bolts! That should drop the belt down in the secondary (The 3 bolts push the Sheaves out) and give it enough slack so the belt wont rub on the primary and it wont act like it wants to engage. Trust me, I learned the hard way LOL

If the bolts dont have shims on them, The bolts may be wore down and need to be replaced!

Read this!!! Pg 8-12

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-02-12_487.pdf
This is my best guess... Real common.
Rebel #244
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM

ford- next time your in the shop or bored, try playing with some belts and secondaries, the concept will make perfect sense. i find that the manuals, both owners and service, are merely a guideline and procedures can easily be improved upon, based on personal experience.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > YAMAHA