Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS

SLED HEADS General Sled Chat

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 AM
REBEL

FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default GPS Questions????

Looking at getting a Garmin Rino 650 and had a couple questions for the experts on these things.

I guess first off, is it worth purchasing the topo maps that are available or any other mapping upgrade?

Iím not sure if I want to mount it to the sled or not any pros or cons on that?

I was actually thinking about maybe trying a shoulder mic set up and either mount the GPS to the outside of my pack or just try putting in the pack. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Anyone else try any of the ear piece / mic combos that are available?

Thanks
HD Street Glide
Legend enclosed (The Toy Box)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

If you need both, the Rinos aren't bad units. Normally i'm not a fan of the two-products-one-package thing, but Garmin hit a home run with these - both the radio and the GPS work well.

Since I have a badass radio and a separate GPS (60CSx), I have the GPS mounted to and powered from the sled, and the radio lives in my pack. Speaker-mic clips to the chest strap on my pack.

I like the GPS mounted to the sled because you can glance down and see it, and when you stop you can poke around and find what you're looking for. I like the radio in the pack because if you're separated from the sled you can still put a call out.

Maps are definitely needed - Take a look at what you can find online (gpsfiledepot.com is a good resource). Sometimes you get lucky, but coverage isn't guaranteed like you get with Garmin's maps. I have the 24k topo on my GPS when i'm sledding, the rest of the time it's got CityNavigator loaded.

Might be worth mounting the unit on your sled, and going with a cheap radio on your pack for communications. Blister-pack FRS radios are inexpensive.

Mounting the unit on the sled: Convienent to look at something quick, and you can power it from the sled.
Carrying the unit with you means you're relying on the device's battery, but in the event you become separated from the sled you still have the device.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Jim, if you are interested in mounting it with power check out my setup the sled when you are over sometime.

Agree with pretty much everything Mule says, I can get you links to where you ride mostly (hell I still want to put the county map in there for cert members) since I already have msot of them.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM
RENTAL WRECKER

Sattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLP
Sattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLPSattler Offical PLP

I know that my Garmin Rino 650 will not charge unless plugged into the wall. The USB Cord only works for data. I have tried charging from the computer and also the F150 and it never works. I have not tried from the sled yet.
Forum Member #77
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"
Rough Rider Snowmobile Association
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

62s doesn't either, I have it set up for a mini usb on my sled from my previous GPS and it worked, but the new one not so much. It would still work for a gopro or helmet camera to charge, just need to carry the required mounts to make it work.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
REBEL

tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I have 62s and did the maps from the site Mule mentioned - works for me. Also did some custom maps for my riding areas and uploaded those to the GPS. I don't use it a lot when I ride, but it works when I need it.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS