Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Prospect

BackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Black Diamond Avalung Pack

Does any one ride with the Black Diamond's Avalung or Avalung pack? I am thinking of getting the Bandit version. I've been talking with a rep there and I am very impressed so far.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...op/ski/avalung

Tech spec http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...20IT%20WEB.pdf

It sounds like it could be useful hill climbing or dropping off cornices - its an extra safety measure just like wearing a beacon. Backcountry skiers are raving about it and I know that Doug Chabot and his wife from Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Advisory wear them.

Any Avalung wears out there? What do you think so far? Pack Feel ? Mouth piece : Is it difficult riding up mountains?

Last edited by BackCountryBabe; 01-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
AVALANCHE EXPERT

AvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from ARAvalancheSafetyDude Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If you wear a full-face helmet when you ride, the AvaLung will be almost useless. It's almost impossible to put the mouthpiece in your mouth with a full face helmet on. Unless you want to route the tube and mouthpiece inside your helmet and ride with it in your mouth all the time, otherwise it won't do you much good. It's great for skiers because they usually don't wear a full face helmet. So if you snowmobile without a helmet it would be much more practical.
The AvaLung gives you more breathable air if you're under the snow. It has a flapper valve that opens and closes when you breathe, so it puts fresh air in your mouth when you inhale, and it diverts the CO2 and puts it behind your body when you exhale. So you don't get an ice mask in front of your mouth from exhaling the warm CO2, and you don't re-breathe it and asphyxiate.
Very good for when you're under the snow, if you have the mouthpiece in your mouth.
It's a reasonable price at only $130. But if you can afford an airbag, being on top of the snow is always much better
www.SnowBigDeal.com
1-877-SNOW-BIG - Toll Free
1-435-462-7667 - Direct

FREE SHIPPING ON ALL U.S. ORDERS!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Just Got Here

TRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from ARTRU research project Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I saw a few avalungs in action. I think they work pretty well.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Prospect

BackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from ARBackCountryBabe Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I am not convinced that I can wear my helmet and be able to breathe and ride comfortably. I did call Black Diamond and they specifically said they do not gear there products to snowmobilers. I think I got my answer.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

+1 for what avalanchesafetydude said... i'd rather be on top of the snow than stuck with an avalung under it. Good equipment for skiers/boarders, but i'm not sold on it for sledding.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Tags
avalung pack, avy, black diamond, safety