Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Just Got Here

doorider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default REV 800 2006 Clutch Removal

I burned up my drive belt and can't get the clutch off. The engine is all bound up due to belt winding getting jammed in between the clutch and engine block. I removed the outer portion of the primary clutch and the secondary, but I can not get the inner portion of the clutch loose from the crankshaft. FYI I am not using a puller. Is there a way to get the clutch part off the crank? Anyone gone through this before? I am concerned I have damaged my crankshaft seals with the belt winding. Thank you in advance my doo friends!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Log Has earned a rub and tug from ARLog Has earned a rub and tug from ARLog Has earned a rub and tug from ARLog Has earned a rub and tug from ARLog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

This http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....20removal&st=0
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM
"Sick and Twisted"

Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP
Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP

That water method is thought to be the best BTW.

Welcome to BCR sorry your first post is because of something like this, Sounds bad.

When you say you are not using a puller, what exactly do you mean?
You DO have the Doo puller/bolt right? You aren't trying to pry it of from behind are you?
Give a little more background if you could, it'll help us help you!

Generally, if your motor seems bound up from the belt chords wrapping around the crank then yes, most likely you'll need to replace the crank seal... Sorry.

It would also help if we new where you are so if any of us are local to you then we could at the very least loan you a puller if you don't have one but DON'T pry on the backside of the clutch, if you did then I'm afraid that's toast.
BCR #343
Proud member of team WTF?

A Little Older, A Little Wiser...
Well, A Little Older Anyway
http://www.northwestglaciercruisers.com/
http://www.wssa.us/
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.nwac.us/

Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

If you don't have the correct puller, do the water methode like stated on the dootalk link. You will need teflon tape (any hardware store or auto parts will have it). Take your time, it will come off. If the seal is bad, besure to get the mag side as well. You will be in for some special tools to get the flywheel off. Can rent those from auto parts places for cheap.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Just Got Here

Thanks for jumping in to help. I did do the water method w/snow in the field last week and yes it popped the clutch off no problem, but it's only the outer half. It's the shaft and collar, inside portion of primary, that I now need to remove from the engine crankshaft. I have tried the water meathod bit it's not getting it. I tried the grease.... no go. Keep in mind the belt winding was jammed in between the clutch and engine block. I am using the bolt the holds the clutch oon the crank. Not using the washer and not installing the outer half of the clutch; the bolt bottoms out.

Yes, i did pry a little... with tools from the kit after the front half came off... i was desperate to not spend the night.

I think snowmobile riding is a mental game... when the belt blew I found myself seperated from my riding buddies for several hours. They got me out by about 8:00pm.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Prospect

Dino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Dino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from ARDino Has earned a rub and tug from AR

It would be best to invest in the correct puller....30 bucks give or take. You will thank your self when you doo. Dino
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM
REBEL

Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP
Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorider View Post
Thanks for jumping in to help. I did do the water method w/snow in the field last week and yes it popped the clutch off no problem, but it's only the outer half. It's the shaft and collar, inside portion of primary, that I now need to remove from the engine crankshaft. I have tried the water meathod bit it's not getting it. I tried the grease.... no go. Keep in mind the belt winding was jammed in between the clutch and engine block. I am using the bolt the holds the clutch oon the crank. Not using the washer and not installing the outer half of the clutch; the bolt bottoms out.

Yes, i did pry a little... with tools from the kit after the front half came off... i was desperate to not spend the night.

I think snowmobile riding is a mental game... when the belt blew I found myself seperated from my riding buddies for several hours. They got me out by about 8:00pm.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Don't get me wrong but it sounds like to me you are threading it into the crank.

The bolt should thread into the clutch shaft and stop threading and slid in further to start in the crack. are you sure you are not threading it past the threads in the shaft?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 AM
"Sick and Twisted"

Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP
Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Lucky View Post
Don't get me wrong but it sounds like to me you are threading it into the crank.

The bolt should thread into the clutch shaft and stop threading and slid in further to start in the crack. are you sure you are not threading it past the threads in the shaft?

Correct, The bolt that holds the clutch into place will not pull the clutch. I have the puller here, basically consists of a longer bolt with a non threaded shaft where the clutch bolt has threads.
The threads that are on it thread into the clutch part that is still on the crank and as you tighten it, it pushes against the end of the crank and pops the clutch off.
Any Doo dealer will have one for under $30.

I hope you didn't deflect the sheave at all when you pried on it but I understand the feeling you had when separated.. Not a good feeling.
BCR #343
Proud member of team WTF?

A Little Older, A Little Wiser...
Well, A Little Older Anyway
http://www.northwestglaciercruisers.com/
http://www.wssa.us/
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.nwac.us/

Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Did you use teflon tape on the threads of the bolt? If not, the water will leak by the threads. Did you use enough water? DO NOT PRY ON THE CLUTCH. You will break some expensive stuff. The first part that the bolt threads into is the clutch. If you thread past the first set of threads you are into the crank and are making the connection tighter.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)

Last edited by Mac-Daddy-Racing-212; 12-21-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Just Got Here

Thanks... i was not getting it right, so I appreciate your clairification. Wonderfull to have this site and its' members to assit and advise. I live a significant distance from a dealer so it adds to the complexity of my situation as far as parts, tools, etc. I will try again tonight. I can't wait to ride again soon... but i am packing a flash light in my backpack, just in case I need to spend the night. lol
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Tags
2006, clutch, rev, ski-doo 800