Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS

SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS Forum dedicated to the single ski riders

Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The standard requirements for the secondary shims on the shaft are 2 thin shims on the backside and one thin shim on the front. Some guys take out the back shims so the clutch floats better and not as likely to burn the belt BUT be careful with taking away the front thin shim and wider shim because if you over rev the belt will try to climb out of the primary. As for top speed what is it ?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 AM

JiiKoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
The standard requirements for the secondary shims on the shaft are 2 thin shims on the backside and one thin shim on the front. Some guys take out the back shims so the clutch floats better and not as likely to burn the belt BUT be careful with taking away the front thin shim and wider shim because if you over rev the belt will try to climb out of the primary. As for top speed what is it ?
topspeeds GPS on lake hardpacked snow:

ibc: 63mph @ 8100rpm and secondary spring pos C-6 (16,5lbs)
tra3:71mph @7200rpm ramps clickers pos3 secondary pos C-6
tra3 :73,5mph @7500rpm ramps clickers pos3 secondary pos C-4(26lbs)
tra3:69mph @8000rpm ramps pos6 and secondary C-4

tra3 setup everytime: 410 ramps,spring 230-350 and about 20g weights.

Meybe today i have enough time to take weights off little bit and try again
Old 03-16-2011, 03:08 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Besides taking some weight off do you have any lighter springs ? Very agressive but you might also loose some top end from it. Mark you primary with a magic marker to see if your using all of your clutch ?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster View Post
Besides taking some weight off do you have any lighter springs ? Very agressive but you might also loose some top end from it. Mark you primary with a magic marker to see if your using all of your clutch ?
Yeah, maybe i need also some lighter spring in primary. But next step will be make the belt alignment. Testrun with gps and see does better alignment change anything. After that i will take weight off little bit and testrun.

Which is better way to get max. rpm..? Take weight off or tighter spring from end like 230-390 (now i have only 230-350 spring)

pics of my hawk if someone intrested, go facebook and search "Jori Kangas" i cant remember can outsiders watch pics if not my friends in fb...but i am ready to be every hawkrider friend
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 PM
REBEL

TLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from ARTLKD Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiiKoo View Post
Yeah, maybe i need also some lighter spring in primary. But next step will be make the belt alignment. Testrun with gps and see does better alignment change anything. After that i will take weight off little bit and testrun.

Which is better way to get max. rpm..? Take weight off or tighter spring from end like 230-390 (now i have only 230-350 spring)

pics of my hawk if someone intrested, go facebook and search "Jori Kangas" i cant remember can outsiders watch pics if not my friends in fb...but i am ready to be every hawkrider friend
TAKE SOME WEIGHT OFF !!! It is the ONLY proper way to get to your target RPM. Clickers should only be used to fine tune your RPM, if you're 1000 RPM too low, you MUST take some weight off in order to get closer to your target.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 PM
REBEL

cjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Max rpm can be changed three ways on a TRA clutch.

Pin weight - Less = higher max rpm.
ramp angle - steeper = higher max RPM
final spring force - higher = higher max rpm.

The easiest/cheapest way to change max rpm is to change the pin weight, you can also get a finer adjustment. 1 gram of weight = about 100 rpm of change ( that is total of all three pins).

Friendship is like peeing your pants. Everyone notices but only you feel its true warmth. Thanks for being the pee in my pants.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgodden View Post
Max rpm can be changed three ways on a TRA clutch.

Pin weight - Less = higher max rpm.
ramp angle - steeper = higher max RPM
final spring force - higher = higher max rpm.

The easiest/cheapest way to change max rpm is to change the pin weight, you can also get a finer adjustment. 1 gram of weight = about 100 rpm of change ( that is total of all three pins).
That information 100rpm = 1gram is good to know, thanks!
I read from "Ski Doo racing handbook 2004" something like that --> "Because TRA3 has variable sheeve angle TRA3 clutch must be matched with VSA type driven clutch and belt to achieve maximum performance" So it is necessary get VSA type secondary like 800hawk, or are you guys get 600hawk with tra3 working fine with stock secondary?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
REBEL

cjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from ARcjgodden Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The stock 600 hawk secondary clutch is the same as skidoo used in 2000 era sleds. It works fine with the TRA3.

Friendship is like peeing your pants. Everyone notices but only you feel its true warmth. Thanks for being the pee in my pants.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Now i had make testrun with lighter weights.

setup right now is:
410 ramps
230-350 spring
weights is 2006 121" 600sdi skidoo standard weight pins...i think them are 16 or 16,5 grams???

So it is better now...little bit
revs about 8000 with ramp position 3
topspeed quite hard packed snow on river ice is 75mph and it accelerate also pretty good.

Proplem is clutches are very very very hot after riding and belt also :/
I doubt belt alignment is still bad, i take shims away backside of secondary. I will post pics of that alignment thing soon...so you guys can see it is bad or not...

thanks a lot for helping me with clutches
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 AM
REBEL

J&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARJ&L Snowhawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default secondary spring

i would loosen the secondary spring more Go to like b3 setting. that is what we use for riding on the hill. can go softer if trail riding i'm sure. My 600 would run i think about 13g of pin weight at 1500ft. Never did a top speed check though.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS