Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS

SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS Forum dedicated to the single ski riders

Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM

NEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Yes I run the TS simmons ski. Its the best all around ski I have found. If you are running ONLY powder and never touch hard packed snow or a trail the two simmons bolted together work better for pure deep powder.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Prospect

Thunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Keep the trackers as long as you are using the stock ski, it can't hurt anything.

Regarding the foot peg relocation bracket. That is about improving the geometry of the suspension, not to improve foot position on machine. Probably important if you're going to be jumps that use the full range of the suspension.

If you doing mostly off trail riding you're going to want an anti stab kit from Steve Sampson. He also make handle bar brackets, which you will want to raise it and move it forward.

Yes, you need the straight bracket to lighten the weight on the ski for off trail powder riding. I may have one if nobody else offers one - price, hmmm, lodging in Norway when I come to ride with you.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Just Got Here

mxjan Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Keep the trackers as long as you are using the stock ski, it can't hurt anything.

Regarding the foot peg relocation bracket. That is about improving the geometry of the suspension, not to improve foot position on machine. Probably important if you're going to be jumps that use the full range of the suspension.

If you doing mostly off trail riding you're going to want an anti stab kit from Steve Sampson. He also make handle bar brackets, which you will want to raise it and move it forward.

Yes, you need the straight bracket to lighten the weight on the ski for off trail powder riding. I may have one if nobody else offers one - price, hmmm, lodging in Norway when I come to ride with you.
Thanks for the post Thunderhawk

Fot pegs:
I searched a few old threads and found some information about the pegs. I see some dropped the pegs 1" down and 2" back.
Is that what most people do?
I also saw some guys selling fot peg brackets too (check the pics). Is there anyone on the forums who sells these brackets now?

Do you have Steve Sampson email ? Or does he have a website?

I would be interested in that straight adapter but i respect if you dont want to sell it. But i would be VERY glad if you could measure the heigth & width of your bracket. Also measure the lenght between the center axle hole and down to the center of the hole where you mount the plate that mounts to the ski.
It woudl be awesome if you could help me with that because my brother could CNC me a adapter
Thanks
Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foot pegs.jpg (38.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg hawk.jpg (48.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0778.jpg (22.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

One of the disadvantages of lowering the pegs would be that your feet will be more likely to get knocked of on even the simplest landing .
A good ski like mentioned would be your first good improvement . If the skis that are being used now would of been around in the beginning I would venture to say a lot more people would be riding Hawks . The set back has to go , it's worthless in good snow and odds are you'll end up going over the bars a little to often .
There are a lot of improvements that can be done , you just need the saddle time to figure out your riding style .
Your skid is also about the worst for trenching but when it comes to flat out ripping there is no better , it is not a slow riding skid and only shines when it's being beat on . Stalling in a jump is not what it's designed for , it will blow out every time .

If I where to put a pecking order I would do the ski and straight spindle , frame bracing , Rev engine plate , another skid like the older one that is coupled or a bike kit skid , heated grips , LED headlight
Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Prospect

Thunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from ARThunderhawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Look at the "Front Forks" thread and find the post by Steve Samps. He owns Xtreme Machine in Logan Utah. He makes various parts for the hawk community.

I'll see what I can find in the garage this weekend. I probably have both the ski and foot peg brackets.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:02 AM
Just Got Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Look at the "Front Forks" thread and find the post by Steve Samps. He owns Xtreme Machine in Logan Utah. He makes various parts for the hawk community.

I'll see what I can find in the garage this weekend. I probably have both the ski and foot peg brackets.
Hit me up ASAP if you find anything Thunderhawk!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Just Got Here

Yesterday was my first time on my hawk. Started riding on a hard trail to get up to the powder.
I rode with the stock ski, twin axis and the iron trackers.
I had no control lol. Felt the hawk was riding me. The thing wanted to where it wanted.
Quite different from riding my dirtbike.
But when I got away from the hard packed snow and into the power it was a lot of fun.
the thing was screaming. Tried to climb som steep hills and it was climbing very well. It was in the powder I really I had an advantage from riding dirt bikes, because it handled very much like a dirt bike. I liked it in the powder with the stock ski set up, so I guess I will like it even more with a non twin axis , straight adapter and TS simmons ski 

When turning hard standing upright I felt my bots was under the snow. wanted to drag my boots of the pegs so I don’t think im going to lower the pegs. But set the pegs back would not hurt I think.

So all in all I had a god time UNTIL I was about to start it and it did not rewind the rope back to the starter. I guess the spring mechanism went bad. I had to to remove the starter, then rewind the rope by myself, then mount it and pull again but the engine was cold and I was not able to start it. When the starter was functioning I had to give it 3 hard pulls before it started so 1 pull did not work well. I had the starter off many times trying to get it started lol. It was windy and cold and not a nice place to wrench. Luckily my dad was not far away and he got it down from the mountain with the Canam.
I found a complete new starter that replaces the original part numbers:
- 420.8874.45 - 420.8897.63 - 420.8897.65 - 420.8897-66 - 420.8926.12 - 420.8926.15

Does anyone know the part number on the starter that is used on the snowhawk? I guess the starter is the same that is used on the snowhawk and the Ski doo sleds that uses the 800 ho engine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180224_163250.jpg (91.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20180224_163711.jpg (79.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg p29714.jpg (30.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 AM

NEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from ARNEWDUCK Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Yup a starter off a 800 ho works on the snowhawk. If you had some rope with you it probably would of been easier to just wrap it around the primary and give it a tug. But if your hawk takes three pulls it wouldn't of helped anyways.
The snowhawk will always kind of drive itself on the trail. A TS ski will help but it will always sorta feel that way. Kinda like riding a bike in the sand. If you fight it it sucks but if you just ride with the bike you are golden. Ride with the hawk not against it.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Just Got Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWDUCK View Post
Yup a starter off a 800 ho works on the snowhawk. If you had some rope with you it probably would of been easier to just wrap it around the primary and give it a tug. But if your hawk takes three pulls it wouldn't of helped anyways.
The snowhawk will always kind of drive itself on the trail. A TS ski will help but it will always sorta feel that way. Kinda like riding a bike in the sand. If you fight it it sucks but if you just ride with the bike you are golden. Ride with the hawk not against it.
Thanks. I repaired the starter i had. The sping was damaged and i had to replace it.
Yes i will definitely have rope with me next time! When my hawk was warm it started on the first pull but when its cold it tok 3 or 4 pulls. And my engine was cold when we tried to start it with the damaged starter.

Now i just wait on someone who offers me a straight adapter
Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Prospect

Which color you like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawk powder adaptor.jpg (55.8 KB, 23 views)
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS