Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV

Old 10-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Prospect

Sneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default 2007 Polaris Outlaw 90 Blowing headlights

I recently found a good deal on a 2007 polaris Outlaw 90. When i got it it had blown headlight bulbs. So i bought some online and installed them. I started it up and they lit up, but as soon as i reved it up just a little bit both of the bulbs blew at the same time. My gut says that it is a bad voltage regulator, however i am not sure i want to just guess and waste $50. Does anyone know how to test a voltage regulator to make sure it working properly? Any one have ideas as to what else might cause that? they are spealty bulbs that you can only get from polaris that are almost $10 ea, so i would like to find the problem with the volt meeter.

FYI, brake light works fine... so i am stumped.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

if it is any thing like the little xc 120 sleds it will be the voltage regulator. pretty common problem on the sleds
Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

X2 on the regulator. Make sure it has a good ground. Check all your grounds wires.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:14 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

A meter can read AC or DC volts.

If you probe the headlight leads... depending on the system, you may see AC or DC on there.

If it's DC, you should see 14-ish volts DC, and very little AC voltage.
If it's AC, you will see some sort of AC voltage with very little DC.
(It's not going to hurt your meter to read ACV on a DC signal... it's looking for the ac waveform on an offset... opposite for DC on an AC signal, you're reading the offset of the average peak-to-peak voltage).
And make sure the chassis and battery ground is connected/tight.

If you read 14v DC, but it spikes to 20+ when you throttle up, you need a new rectifier/regulator.
If it's AC and you see big jumps, chances are you need a stator. Sometimes the AC out to the lights goes through diodes to limit the voltage, and a lot of times those diodes are part of the reg/rect. A wiring diagram will tell you what that power goes through.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Prospect

Sneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from ARSneak A Peak Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Thank you sir
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV