Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV

Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Default Colorado Rally Racing

Little town of Rangely in northwestern CO held a rally race.
Sheriffs office needed help to run everything - communications and public safety help.
So I drove for a few hours...

...and checked in.

One team along with a deputy had already gotten infrastructure set up at the two sites around town. Added a few more talk paths, as well as some additional infrastructure to fall back on if needed.
Verizon pushed a bad update which took out all cellular service to the town for a few hours. We had a Cradlepoint gateway providing internet through VZW in the trailer, which went down... so, satellite dish up and aligned on the roof, and our trailer had internet again. Fire up the cellular gateway and we had our own little bubble of cell coverage through satellite IP.

Function-check on all my equipment out here, make sure I've got comms to all the systems we'd be using. All my stuff just worked - state DTR, conventional VHF (fire/law), and UHF DMR for additional capacity.

Spent the rest of the evening in the trailer with comm techs and deputies handing me their radios to program with our new sites. One older 6550 was a real head-scratcher, there were a few settings along with the slower scan/roam capabilities of that older radio that threw me for a loop.
Used to work out here many years ago, doing oilfield inspection.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:31 PM

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Race Day 1. Meet up with the race official I'd be teamed up with for the weekend, load the pickup and head out to the starting line we were stationed at. Met up with the medic stationed with us for the day.
Figured out starting line, got signs up, tents up, tables/chairs up.

Course cleared by the "Zero cars" - run a sweep and make sure all the officials/staff/volunteers are in position, caution tape up where it needs to be, and that there aren't any filthy casuals on the course.

Couple hours later, course is cleared, and the first cars start arriving at our stage.

Race org was understaffed, and being in a small town there weren't a lot of volunteers for the event.
Day 1 was just myself, the race official, and medic at the stage starting line.
Medic was just there for medic duty, ensuring racers were all doing okay in the heat.
Race official had official duties to attend to - checking in cars at the stage, assigning sequence numbers and an "ideal start time".
I was there officially as communications and public safety.
But the race official needed a starting line control - someone to man the starting clock and make sure everyone's going out in the right order and at the right time. So I got to learn all about rally race timing.

This org runs things a bit different than the snow/dirt racing I've done. Interesting to get experience with other organizations, there's some things I like about the way they do things that I may bring back to the cross-country snow circuit I race.

Afternoon, small storm rolled through. Didn't drop any precip on us, but safety team at IC was watching the thunderstorms and taking reports from us in the field on weather conditions.
About 20 miles east of us, a cloud-to-ground strike sparked a small fire. "All units, be advised of a smoke column to the east, fire district is aware of it and sending response." The BLM squad we had on our stage cleared out to respond to that fire.
With the additional load on the state radio network of the race, along with response to the fire, as well as all the other everyday traffic (law/med in town), there wasn't enough talk paths between the sites - about half the times I'd key the mic, i'd get "bonked" from the system since all the talk paths were full. Command made the call to start shedding load to the other systems we'd installed. Did a "Roll call" on the linked DMR systems and resumed comms on there. Almost like we know what we're doing.

This was the first event the org ran a UTV class in. Four UTVs entered, only two started this stage.
After these guys ran, course was cleared by "Safety sweep" and "Heavy sweep", and we were released from starting line duties.
Headed back in town, got everything ready in my truck for the next day, and dropped my official off for the night.
Logistics team got dinner rolling - taco bar at IC. Radios back on the charger, refilled ice in coolers, and got some sleep.
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 07-25-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: nunna yer bizness
Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 AM

Race day 2. Breakfast and morning briefing at IC. Sheriff informed us the fire started yesterday had cleared 4 miles overnight, now approaching 3000 acres, Type 3 teams enroute.
Met the race official, packed up the last few things we needed and headed to our meetup point. Got together with the rest of the team on our stage, medic arrived, we were lucky enough to get assigned a volunteer for help today, and we all caravan'd to the starting line.
Everyone else entered the course to be dropped off at their locations; we (myself, official, medic, and volunteer) stayed at the start line.

Medic was getting his stuff set up towards the turnoff, volunteer had parked her car by the medic. Official and I drove further down the road where starting line was going to be set up, volunteer had walked down the road to meet us.
The three of us were surveying the area, taking direction from the official where things would need to be set up. As we were heading towards the drainage, a bear wanders out of the woods to see what's going on.
We stop and look at the bear, bear stops and looks at us... bear turns around and jogs down the road a bit before ducking into the woods again.
At this point I take over with my public-safety duties - call a quick meeting at my pickup.
Official's from Detroit, volunteer's local but not very outdoorsy. So this whole situation rests on me... "So, obviously, there's a bear in the area. I don't expect it to be a big deal with the traffic we'll have around here once things get going. The coolers with lunches and drinks are going to stay in the bed of my pickup - we'll anchor the ez-ups with other heavy things I have in here. In the cab is the trash can - please use it. Be mindful of food/drinks and let's keep this area cleaned up."
Also made the decision to carry the pistol in my truck the rest of the day.
Radioed into control:
"Control, Start 9. Be advised I have a bear on the course, wildlife."
There's a long pause, then "Start 9, confirm you have a *bear* on the course?"
"Affirm." Followed by another long pause, then "Standby."

Control sent a deputy out to clear the area. We got things set up, when he arrived I briefed him on the situation and he made a quick drive up the course a little ways to make sure there wasn't anything that would affect the race. Deputy fully agreed with and supported my decision to carry a sidearm, said I had a handle on the situation... thanked me, then left our area to get back to work.

Enough talking, pictures now. Starting line for the day.

Actually had a view of the race track today - course ran down teh valley for about half a mile, then around and up the switchbacks on the side of the hill.

Once again I was starting line control. Medic by my truck, volunteer with me, racers on the course.

Break for lunch. Cloud cover was nice, temps are around 100F.

Heavy-sweep pulls out a racer that broke something on their vehicle.

Zero-cars back on the course to clear before round-2 begins.

Handed my phone off to the volunteer for some photos. Check sequence number, check "ideal start time" from the official, assign an "actual start time" from the clock, make sure the racers don't jump the line, and that the course is clear before starting the next car.

One and only UTV to start this stage.

Get everything packed up, cleaned up, and waited for safety-sweep and heavy-sweep to clear the course. Lots of waiting around at this point...

Official and I agreed to let the volunteer head back into town, wasn't much for her to do at this point. Medic, official, and I being race staff have to wait till we're cleared by control. When I stepped aside to piss, the medic ditched us.
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 07-26-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 AM

Once we were cleared, headed back to the college in town to drop off equipment and catch some of the awards ceremony.

#331's the only UTV to finish the race.

Official and I parted ways - thanked me for all the help. He was glad to be teamed up with a radio/safety guy who also raced, given the lack of race staff for starting line duties. Cleared out at IC, made plans to deal with equipment on tower sites the following morning, and got some sleep.

Deputies were able to get the deployables off the radio sites easily (the equipment was packaged in such a way that it was just a matter of unplugging power/antenna/router, throwing it in the pickup and hauling it back to IC).
Unhooked/unplugged, all but 2 radios from the state cache accounted for. Those turned up early in the week as people unloaded their equipment at home. Trailers hitched up, cleared out of the area command was staged at, and headed home.
Smoky drive through the mountains.

Bucket for the ice maker had moved, probably with the first one or two cycles after I had left the house. Continued to make ice while I was at the race....

Sheriff was thrilled with our team. Offered our control operator a dispatch job, thanked us for our professionalism and ability to handle situations (like bears on the course) and "just get things done". I'm just now feeling rested up from the weekend.
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:15 PM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Cool

Your comms looks like fun and also helpful.
Never hear much, if anything, about rally in MN.

But I have watched dozens of YT rally videos from Europe, Scandinavia , etc.
This link is one of my favorites.
Finland rally fans are the greatest. Will cheer as a car is crashing, then about 40 people run over to check the driver and tip the car back over, and drag it to safety by hand.

All the while hollering a chant as the tug on tow straps... sounds like"he-yah,he-yah,he-yah.............. etc."
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM
REBEL

BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from ARBLITZKRIEG Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Awesome!
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Cool

BUT WAIT !
This Fin race just posted yesterday. No crashes, but some damn fast cars, getting 'air' over hills.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:19 PM
REBEL

Cool

Another real good smash 'em up rally .
Some incredible wrecks captured on video.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV