Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO

Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM

sledneck0695 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02 Renegade 800 top end??

So I picked up a 02 renegade 800 with 1200 miles on it this past fall in a trade did a compression test and it was 150 in both cylinders. I took it out for the first time on Thursday and the first half of the ride it was groomed than took a "short cut" and ended up breaking trail through about a foot and a half of heavy snow for probably 20 miles before I ran out of gas. Called my buddy got gas etc. I took a different trail back that was groomed and I'd been running it hard for most of night. It ended up seizing up so I took some oil and put it in the cylinders and freed it up pretty easily but I couldn't get it running again and it had a real hard spot in it while pulling it over and the plugs were white. I pulled the engine out this afternoon (should of done a compression test prior ) and took the head off and the cylinders look perfect and the pistons have a real light wear on the sides which makes me think maybe rings. Than I read this from RK TEK "These failures are more apparent in the engine of the Mountain Riders. The reason for this is simple. Mountain riding places a much greater strain on an engine. It is not uncommon for an engine to be under a FULL LOAD condition for over 3 minutes in everyday deep powder riding. This pro-longed "loading" of the engine is very hard on the piston and ring due to the fact that the piston is having a very difficult time ridding itself of heat via the ring.

Eventually the ring will fail and cause a VERY LIGHT seizure or flaking of the ring face. This will usually not stop the engine or leave you stranded BUT will cause a power loss and eventually total ring failure and engine seizure." I read a lot about the flaking of the ring because it's a single and the heat etc. Any other ideas before I spend 825$ on there drop in kit????

02 Renegade 800-
Currently having heart surgery.

I live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning Satan Shudders and says " oh sh!t he's awake".

Last edited by sledneck0695; 12-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 AM

sledneck0695 is an unknown quantity at this point

Found the problem Connecting rod bearing seized up on the crank. Here we go.

02 Renegade 800-
Currently having heart surgery.

I live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning Satan Shudders and says " oh sh!t he's awake".
Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 AM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

MBRP has dual ring pistons for that sled. I have a set for my '04 on the shelf ready to go. Crank bearing is not too bad. Did mine two years ago for under $300 (rebuilt crank). Pistons, gaskets, seals all done for under $600 when all said and done. I did not need the jugs replated, so that saved some coin.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SKI DOO