Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS

SLED HEADS General Sled Chat

Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Radio?

What communications are you guys using out there?? pros cons to them?

was looking at some motorola.

mule chime in
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Prospect

RIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from AR
RIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from ARRIP n IT Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Been using the cheap motorolas so when you might get seprated in the trees or someone gets stuck it helps to find them and know their OK. The range might be a mile if your lucky.
12 800 Pro RMK-1100 miles and needs Pistons, Clutch. Seeing the line no one else does PRICELESS. POLARIS the way out...OF CASH
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
CINNAMON RING KING

buck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
buck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARbuck50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i've got some motorola 1410's. they are a commercial radio. they are water proof, fairly small, so easy to zip tie onto backpack, and the talk button is a nice big button right in the middle of the unit, so it's easy to use with the gloves on! down side is most radios can't pick up their signals, but that's also good casue you don't get a lot or any chatter from other peeps! they are a bit more expensive brand new, but i just buy them on ebay for about $50 each

http://www.jr.com/motorola/pe/MOT_CLS1410/
Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

hahaha

Main rig's a VS FT60R. 5w VHF/UHF handheld.
-Pros: Does everything. Small, mil-spec, waterproof, etc etc etc.
-Cons: License required, difficult to learn and operate. Expensive.

Also carry a Motorola SP21. 2w VHF business radio. It's an extra, in case SHTF kind of situation.
-Pros: Picked 3 up for $10 courtesy of the local government. Stupid simple to use (PTT, Volume, and a monitor button are all that's on it).
-Cons: Licensing. Also, I haven't met anyone else on the mountain that has the equipment to talk to it. S&R/EmgSvcs could with the freq/code.

Hard to go wrong with a decent FRS/GMRS radio. Almost everyone uses them, they're readily available and inexpensive. A professional-model GMRS rig would be a better option, but there you deal with licensing ($70-ish, no exam) and cost ($150-200 per radio). A GMRS license grants you permission to use the 5W output on GMRS frequencies (1-7, GMRS1-8 (15-22)), as well as using repeaters when available. I haven't ran across many, but they are out there. Very few consumer-level radios have repeater capabilities.

If you're in the market for a decent GPS in addition to a radio, I'd go with Garmin's Rino series. The GPS is equivalent to the 60/76 series receivers, but also has a decent FRS/GMRS radio stuck to it. The polling feature is a huge benefit to these. That technology has been around for many years, but it has previously required additional hardware (Ext. GPS receiver, TNC, cabling/power) and has never been made available to the general public.

I would stay away from the "sno-fone" type deals. VOX is pretty shitty when combined with the noise from the sled. Some use a 900MHz frequency with real low power output... Good for an intercom, not too great for rider-rider communication more than 500ft away.

In general, communication equipment is the kind of thing where you get what you pay for. A $20 throat mic is going to suck. A $100 throat mic will still suck, just not as bad. A $400 tactical throat mic will kick ass. (and IMO none of them are worth it till you get to the $400 ones). Same goes for the radios, the $20 special from walmart won't perform nearly as well as a $80 pair of decent Motorola radios.

My 60's on the right, SP21's are the three on the left.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM
REBEL

XC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLP
XC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLPXC Offical PLP

haha, I gave mule a link to Gander Mountains Web page when I was shopping and he picked out my radios, they've been great so far, the battery life has been frinken awesome and the range is good, came with free car and 110v chargers, can also be used with AA's, and comes with the earbud and Mic for use with it stuck in a pocket, which is how I use it. They were on closeout when I bought mine but I'm pretty sure this is the upgraded/newest version.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
Old 01-02-2019, 01:29 PM
REBEL

06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

So I ordered one of these today

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-1800m...vCL&ref=plSrch

I did research on the radio but then found out I need a License shit. Not a big deal i will study and get it but we have a trip coming up and wondering am I really going to get busted talking to just my group in the mountains? Most of them have the BCA radios and I will set mine to there frequency.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

You only need a license if you are playing in certain frequencies. Make sure you get the CHIRP software and the programming cable for it. I have 2 of those radios and can't really fault them, especially since you can get 3 for the price of one BCA. Somewhere I have a list of the BCA frequencies I could probably send you and maybe even a configuration file you could copy the frequencies out of to program into yours.
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R
Plus snow and dirt toys for the kiddos too

Honey badger would approve this message, but he don't give a sh!t.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 AM
REBEL

06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR06 RMK 900 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMKcowboy View Post
You only need a license if you are playing in certain frequencies. Make sure you get the CHIRP software and the programming cable for it. I have 2 of those radios and can't really fault them, especially since you can get 3 for the price of one BCA. Somewhere I have a list of the BCA frequencies I could probably send you and maybe even a configuration file you could copy the frequencies out of to program into yours.
I have the bca frequencies but if you could send me your others that would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Honestly, those radios aren't that great. The front-end is kind of deaf, and the transmitter on mine is nowhere near what it should be.

For a $30 ham radio, they're okay, but you get what you pay for.

They're also really complicated to use. If you're not willing/interested in putting in the effort to learn what the important features are and what they do, then you're going to have issues with it.

You're better off with a decent FRS/GMRS radio. You can find good-quality radios for $30-40/ea, they're way easier to use.

If ham radio is something you're interested in, the baofengs are great for that. They've lowered the cost of entry into that hobby significantly.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 AM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 RMK 900 View Post
I have the bca frequencies but if you could send me your others that would be greatly appreciated

I'll have to see if I can find them, along with the laptop they are on
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R
Plus snow and dirt toys for the kiddos too

Honey badger would approve this message, but he don't give a sh!t.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS