Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Prospect

longshot Has earned a rub and tug from AR
longshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default What enclosed trailer to get?

I'm trying to decide what 4 or 5 (if stuffed in there) place enclosed trailer to get can't decide between a steel and an aluminum looking at Lightning trailers, NEO trailers (aluminum), and United trailers (steel).
I'll be pulling it with a 3/4 ton gas so I'm thinking the aluminum would be better.
The price kind of doesn't matter but want to keep it down.
If I could pull a couple before buying that would help make my decision.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Aluminum is expensive, but significantly lighter and won't rust out.

If cost is a major concern, go steel. Costs a bit more to pull it, but if you've already got a truck that can handle it, you'll be fine. Price 'em both out and see what you're comfortable spending.

Bonus with steel, is that when you're pulling it in the wind it's going to stay planted better than the lightweight aluminum one will; especially when it's empty.

If you're going to be doing any camping/work inside it, I'd highly recommend a furnace and 120v wiring in there.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 PM

hillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from ARhillbilly Has earned a rub and tug from AR

If price is not an issue I would get a multi sport steel trailer
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Prospect

longshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from ARlongshot Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Deferentially going to put some heat and lighting in it and many other things, I've got many ideas from here.

The only times I'll use the trailer are going west sledding and maybe moving a bike when the weather isn't fit to ride and that is a big if cause I'd rather ride it than haul the bike.

I'm thinking this will be a long time investment since they don't change much and with minimum use should last a long time. I won't be borrowing it out for things like buddies moving and such that's what u hauls are for, unless it is me moving.

The weight is probably the biggest issue since it will be pulled 1000 miles and i don't want to pull a lead sled that far. Maybe the steels aren't that bad just don't like to buy things and find out I went the wrong way.

I'm leaning towards the aluminum but don't know if they hold up to the abuse of these fine roads we have. Maybe the steels won't be any better.

I have to much time on my hands to think about stuff that probably doesn't matter.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
REBEL

hilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from AR
hilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

28 ft interstate or haulmark trisport with the 5200lb axles, will fit 5 and both have been gd trailers, no experience except for a mirage that fell apart

how special is that!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM
"Resident two-year old"

Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP
Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP

featherlight or charmac
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
REBEL

FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I've been looking at enclosed trailers as well and having the same dilemma. Leaning towards aluminum just to have the option of more vehicles being able to pull it.

Now it comes down to which brand, triple axle or tandem and 29' or 31'?????

Here's a couple links on the subject.

http://www.backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=21591

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/s...d.php?t=309879
HD Street Glide
Legend enclosed (The Toy Box)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 AM

ndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from ARndmtnsledder Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I know this is an old thread but saw you were looking at a united. Mine is a 02 united I bought it used from someone I know in 08. Im thinking they averaged 3500-4000 miles a year and I've put an average of 2500 miles a year on it so its got around 30k miles minimum and I have used it to haul building materials for our house and move a few people. They didnt have to do anything to it and I've replaced tires, had axles realigned, rewired brakes, and repainted the hitch. I would say thats pretty good I've checked the frame over and it looks great I worry about that part on an aluminum frame.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Prospect

Haven't made a decision yet I guess no one is selling this time of year for used and if I order one I don't need to get excited until august.

Actually haven't thought much about one since been on the bike with any free time.

Always thankful for all the input from everybody.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM
"Resident two-year old"

Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP
Graveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLPGraveler Offical PLP

Might know of a four place featherlite forsale
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION