Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA

Old 12-25-2013, 03:22 AM
Prospect

aknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from ARaknytro Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Drew can i get a weight on mine while its in there?
Old 12-25-2013, 03:26 AM
'AKWALKSWITHCHUBBY'

AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP
AKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLPAKSNOWRIDER Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYFLYR View Post
Remember, the tool kit won't need to be nearly as large as the pros so I think his estimate was close, haha. regardless, it's not the 100+ pounds that it use to be just a year or so ago. It's a step in the right direction and I'm excited to see how these turn out for us this season.
I agree Drew, definitely much closer then the past..as for the tool kit..well a wise man should always be prepared....
Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 AM
REBEL

HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR
HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknytro View Post
Drew can i get a weight on mine while its in there?
Will do!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Prospect

AKrider Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

This is a great idea but unless all the sleds are full of gas and fluids it isn't a good comparison. Ready to ride weight is full fluids, curb weight. I don't care if a Yamaha with 2 gallons of gas is similar in weight to a fully filled Pro with its 11.5 gallon tank.

The big problem with the Yamaha's is all the ice they form in the tunnel from the stupid exhaust design. They weight a fricking ton out in the field. I know this for a fact as I owned two Yamaha's and then went back to a 2-stroke. I can easily pull my RMK into my shop after a ride and lift the ass end up onto a dolly with out struggle. My Yamaha's would be so packed with ice at the end of a ride I could barely pick the back end up off the ground to get it on a dolly.

From the factory specs I've seen, the Viper is very similar in weight to a Nytro so they didn't really make any forward progress in that direction.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:43 PM
i dunno

icr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from AR
icr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The viper doesn't have a tunnel dump exhaust like a nytro.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Prospect

AKrider Has earned a rub and tug from AR
AKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from ARAKrider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The Viper exhaust is still exposed to snow where it makes a u-turn in the gas tank. I've not seen the ice build up in the field but it would be interesting to see how much is created. There are posts on another site about icing out from under the tank and steam issues in certain weather conditions.

Cat did a test last year where they weighed fully fueled 800 mountain sleds before and after a ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iLYXyOL3hxM

Here's a link to a 2010 test where they weighed fully fueled sleds before and after riding them:
http://www.snowmobile.com/manufactur...-one-1195.html

The Nytro gained 71.5 lbs and I don't doubt that a bit. My Yamaha's got so heavy while riding them I dreaded having to try and pick up the back of the sled when it was stuck. There were times I simply couldn't pick it up.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:13 PM
i dunno

icr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from AR
icr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from ARicr Has earned a rub and tug from AR

They claimed the pro gained 94lbs and it doesn't have exhaust in the tunnel. I'm not sure I trust any manufacturers marketing department to release an unbiased test.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 PM
REBEL

carvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from AR
carvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from AR

How close have those shop numbers been to the numbers you are seeing Drew?

13 M800 HCR 153 Chubby Chasin'!!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 PM
REBEL

HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR
HYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from ARHYFLYR Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Akrider, I agree the old nytros did have a ice problem however the new viper doesn't seem to build up near as much, not even close for that matter. The header is much shorter and exits the front of the chassis. It doesn't create a lot if steam when stopped but not ice in the tunnel. And I agree, these sled were not full of fluid, so it's just a quick weight for fun. I should be able to have a 162 full of fluid on the scale this week ready to ride.
And for factory specs they say the nytro mtn was 540, when in tipped our scales in at 594 with coolant and oil only. So I don't believe dry weights unless it's on the scale in front me, hence this comparison.
I'm not out to prove who's lighter, lightest or anything like that. I wanted to see what everybody actually weighs in at ready to ride. Yes it's cool yamaha is actually getting close but by no means are we even in the same ballpark as a pro. But this thread isn't about pro vs viper, it's what weighs what for sake of conversation and it's cold and very little snow.

Btw, merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 PM
REBEL

carvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from AR
carvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from ARcarvecrave Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Are you guys open tomorrow? I could probably find some time to bring my cat by and see what she tips the scale at.

13 M800 HCR 153 Chubby Chasin'!!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > ALASKA