Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > RANDOM, NON ASSOCIATED & FREE > LOCKED and LOADED

LOCKED and LOADED A little something for everyone!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Voice of Reason

Ms. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Ms. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I don't have a specific use in mind I "think" I would feel safer in my home having a gun. I suppose that is a pretty simplistic statement because I would probably be more of a detriment than anything because I know nothing about guns. I know so little in fact that I can't even intelligently answer your question as to what kind.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
REBEL

Fosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLP
Fosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLP

Ah, I took a second look and saw your concern about some of the crazy stuff. If your talking about just in the home I would say the ultimate is a 12 guage shotgun. Something short and reliable. I personally like the Remington 870 chasis for obvious reasons of reliability and I'm drawn to this model due to the collapsible stock but carries a price tag from $500-700.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...blackhawk.aspx

Mossburg 500 is also a great choice for just a couple hundred bucks and many different configs.

Some others may suggest the Siaga 12 but there for home defense you are messing around with detachable magazines and also takes about a $1k or more before you get into a tactical model ideal for defending your home.

Keltec is kind of the same way wiith their new shotgun. Looks cool and short but way overpriced as guys are selling them for over a grand. Think people would be pizzed if they knew dealer cost on one was about $350.

If your looking for on your person as in a handgun I would look at the Springfield XD, Glock, SigSaur, Smith and Wesson, Walther and just pick one of those brands that is comfortable in your hand in .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Might even look at a Kimber, Browning Hi Power, Or other 1911 frame handguns. Get the permit to buy one, get yourself a Supertuck Holster and signup and attend a concealed weapons class and get your CCW permit.

Ultimately buy what you like the looks of, feel of and fits the budget.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
REBEL

Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP
Bushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLPBushman Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosgate View Post
Because I can.

But on a more serious note. I grew up hunting, fishing and around guns my entire life. I sat on just a few heirloom and guns from my youth for awhile. Grew up a long arm user and decided I wanted a CCW one day for self defense. Traded an AR-15 for a couple handguns and it dawned on me. I lost $30,000 in an employee retirement fund and other stocks when Gateway Computers folded. I was a financial adviser and for years I had told people firearms were a bad investment and here I was realizing of all the guns I had bought and traded over the years I had yet not turn a profit from one. I had always outpaced inflation and saw returns as high as 300% on guns within a 10 year time frame. With the market turmoil I had found it difficult to find one low risk investment fund that could compare. So I started buying guns as a diversification to my investments. Right now with the market primed for a second run I had spent the last couple years investing heavily when I find good deals. (Buy cheap and stack deep). That's why I buy so many guns for one individual.
Not long ago I could buy a SKS for $69.00, now I cant touch one for under $300.00 around here. Always horse trading, amazing what can be found @ garage sales, turned a $400 investment into a $2,000 investment in two weeks.

I myself have more than I shoot or even need but I don't have enough, great investments for yourself or something we can hand down to our kids that they can keep or sell when it's time for them to start their lives.

Ms. Swimmer you would love going shooting, reactive targets are a riot & many women shoot better than men

Guns.... are expression of American Freedom, I hope to never have to use one in self defence, but it's better to have one & not need it, than to need one & not have one.

These “odious debts” are considered to be the personal debts of the tyrants who incurred them, rather than the country’s debt
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
REBEL

Fosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLPFosgate Offical PLP

Just saw your last post after I posted about the shotguns. Never mind with the shotgun. Not saying you could not handle it. It's just from my experience even us big guys get shy of pulling the trigger when we know the gun we are shooting has a heavy recoil. If your anything like my fiance your wrists would probably tell you how wrong a tactical 12 guage really is within a few shots. Hands down I would suggest you go feel a Walther PK 380. My fiance and daughter both have one and love theirs. They are .380 caliber and is the minimum caliber required for CCW courses. I think I picked mine up for about $350 each more if you want the laser. They are comfortable and both of them have no problem racking the slide and operating all the components and disassemble them and clean them which you should do after ever range practice or every 6 months.

This is a review of the holster I would suggest and this is from a woman's perspective. It's very versatile and comfortable.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Ho...6/Default.aspx

My girls also have Walther P22's to practice with on a regular basis since we shoot .22LR on a regular basis and the ammo is cheaper when you shoot a lot.

But, Goto a gun store and grab one, feel it, make sure you can flip the safety etc and don't be afraid to ask questions about it. Dealers deal with novices all the time and if you walk in with a half thought in mind of what you want your one step ahead. They can also help you find a range and instructors for the CCW course and firearms training. I would also advise if you buy one do not just put it in the closet and forget about it. Use it, go shoot at the range, see if you can get in on bowling pin shoots etc. to help with your marksmanship and always practice your draw and your mental preparedness if you do have to someday draw on someone. I would also suggest not to keep a round in the chamber while carrying at least a year while practicing your draw. This will help you gain confidence and also keep you from having a negligent discharge. Whats a negligent discharge? This is what I mean not to scare you but make you aware. This was a pretty popular discharge and watch MAC walk you through and explain how this could have been prevented. It happens just like accidents sometimes do. It serves me a reminder to always be aware. After you get comfortable drawing and feel confident you won't have a negligent discharge is when I would put a round in the pipe for daily carry.

Last edited by Fosgate; 05-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM
You Should See my Van

woodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLP
woodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLPwoodzy Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Swimmer View Post
I don't have a specific use in mind I "think" I would feel safer in my home having a gun. I suppose that is a pretty simplistic statement because I would probably be more of a detriment than anything because I know nothing about guns. I know so little in fact that I can't even intelligently answer your question as to what kind.
Jan- owning a gun to make yourself "feel" safer at home is a good reason. But a gun sitting in your drawer that you have no idea how to use is useless, might as well have a bundle of grapes in there to throw at an intruder. IF you are leaning towards getting a gun, take classes and KNOW your weapon and the ramifications of using it. I'm pretty sure Canada is pretty anti-gun as is, but in todays world, I would say you'd be crazy NOT to own a gun for home protection.

Remember that pulling a gun and aiming it at somebody is a foreign feeling, even if they are breaking into your house. Once you take that step and pull your weapon, there is no turning back. Hopefully the intruder sees it and runs, but if they come at you and you don't discharge, you are basically answering your door and handing a robber your gun to rob you with. Mentally, you HAVE to be ready to kill the person you are pulling on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Swimmer View Post
I can't believe I am going to say this but Woodzy is right....
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzy View Post
Jan- owning a gun to make yourself "feel" safer at home is a good reason. But a gun sitting in your drawer that you have no idea how to use is useless, might as well have a bundle of grapes in there to throw at an intruder. IF you are leaning towards getting a gun, take classes and KNOW your weapon and the ramifications of using it. I'm pretty sure Canada is pretty anti-gun as is, but in todays world, I would say you'd be crazy NOT to own a gun for home protection.

Remember that pulling a gun and aiming it at somebody is a foreign feeling, even if they are breaking into your house. Once you take that step and pull your weapon, there is no turning back. Hopefully the intruder sees it and runs, but if they come at you and you don't discharge, you are basically answering your door and handing a robber your gun to rob you with. Mentally, you HAVE to be ready to kill the person you are pulling on.
Cause some things need to be said twice.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
REBEL

backcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from AR
backcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from ARbackcountryislife Has earned a rub and tug from AR

As one who just got back into guns after a hiatus of about 8 years, I'd say don't let sticker shock keep you out if that's a factor. You can get a shotgun or handgun for cheap if you look around, then once you start shooting you'll end up getting more/ better... it's just a natural addiction!!

I started by wanting JUST a basic weapon for a cat... now I've got a decked out AK, a handgun that I got from XC, and my eyes out for more!

Since buying the two I've been through about 1400 rounds of ammo... I had just forgotten how much fun it was to go shooting!

For a start, just get something... the rest will fall into place.

14 XM 154... waiting for mods.

Looking for Lightweight or Diamond drive parts?
PM me for discount prices on BDX parts.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Voice of Reason

Ms. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Ms. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from ARMs. Swimmer Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Canada is pretty anti gun I wouldn't be able to own anything that is classified as a hand gun unless I carried a bunch of special permits as I understand it. We also are not allowed to carry handguns around on our person.

Last edited by Ms. Swimmer; 05-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM
REBEL

Lemme do some diggin into your gun laws. The only thing I'm finding is
"handguns with a barrel less than 105mm (4.14 inches), except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted
handguns in caliber .25 or .32, except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted "

Which the Walther PK .380 does not fall into either catagory.

Last edited by Fosgate; 05-02-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
REBEL

Doesn't seem to difficult. I think the wait period is what drives most people up the wall who want instant gratification. Kind of like buying Suppressors (Silencers) Down here. $200 and a form that takes 6-8 moths to get a response on. Looks like there has been talk since October 2011 to do away with the registration as well.

http://www.howtogetagun.ca/

Pretty much non existent for carry on your person or in a vehicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

You need the Permit To Convey (apparently they now refer to this document as the "Authorization To Transport"), and it's good for point A to point B only. You need to travel by a direct and reasonable route.

The actual regulations cover only the following; quotes are from the Act:

Storage during transport by individuals (the regulations for businesses are essentially identical):

Basically, it must be unloaded, rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, in a "container" of "opaque material" that is "of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot be readily broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation" that "does not have any markings on its exterior that could indicate that a weapon, a prohibited device or ammunition is in it". You can have your name and address marked on the outside, but that's about it.

The vehicle must be in your "direct and immediate supervision"; you must be licensed to convey the weapon (which also means you cannot be under 18 years of age, since you would be ineligible to have a permit to convey if you were).

The regulations do not specifically mention whether the unmarked container should be visible or not if you are in the vehicle; but the "direct and immediate supervision" does imply that it's fine if it is and you are there. They don't mind if you transport in a locked trunk, though.

They also state that if you leave the vehicle for any reason, the container must not be visible from the outside of the vehicle, and wherever it is, that area must be locked at all times.

The penalty for unsafe or unlawful transport is up to 5 years in Prison.

I would expect the Gun-In-A-Briefcase failed the "cannot be readily opened by force or accident" part.

Similarly, if you have a permit and you are stopped by police, I think it wise to immediately indicate where, exactly, it's located. If they bothered to do a CPIC check before they stopped you, they will know you have a handgun permit issued to you before they approach the vehicle.

It also should be noted that the Firearms Act is one that is written in such a way that it can be modified, and is modified rather often, by Order In Council; if you're not familiar with that, it means, basically, that the Cabinet more-or-less arbitrarily decides to alter the law. Typically this involves banning specific models of guns from time to time, but they can play with any part of it if they want. So, these things change from time to time and it's the onus of the gun owner to keep up; another reason why they tend to be members of a gun club or organization; they need to keep informed or they're in jeopardy of unknowingly breaking some regulation that comes into force or is amended quietly.

As far as permits for concealed weapons, you essentially need to be an peace officer of some kind with a bona fide reason; it's not a carte blanche either; they will take a dim view of such things as carrying it while on vacation. Private Investigators, Bodyguards, and the like cannot carry a concealed weapon, and although I have no idea where you would be able to confirm it, I'm told no private citizen has ever had a concealed carry permit issued in Canada since at least the early 70's and possibly before.

Who knows how true that is; I would guess the true extent is more or less impossible to discover, given the nature of the reason such a permit might be issued, but then again I'm pretty confident that it's not as common as people assume; and it may well be unheard of. I don't know if Crown Prosecutors and ex-Prime Ministers fall directly under "some kind of peace officer", but I'm willing to agree you could stretch it so it fits.

I'm not sure how you would even be in a position to apply for one: "Personal Defense" is an option on the Application for a Handgun Permit, but it's a "trap question"; checking that box is automatic grounds for refusal, now or in the future. Perhaps Brian Mulroney can check that box and get his gun, but I would suggest everyone else avoid that particular box myself.

In essence, if you need the Concealed Carry permit, you must have lied on the Application for a Restricted Weapon, when you said you were interested in target shooting at your gun club or engaging in the sport of competition shooting (the only reasons we issue non-collector handgun permits in Canada to persons outside the administration of justice) and that is also grounds for revoking the permit in the first place.

As far as the US goes, most states offer concealed carry permits to private citizens, and carrying without a permit is often reduced to a misdemeanor if you're not judged to be a "bad guy" and they find something in the glove box. Many states allow open carries without permits of any kind; in some parts of the US you are unlikely to be able to finish your grocery shopping without seeing a holster and a 44 Magnum on someone's hip.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > RANDOM, NON ASSOCIATED & FREE > LOCKED and LOADED