Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > MOD / FORCED AIR > TURBO'D / SUPERCHARGED

TURBO'D / SUPERCHARGED If it's boosted it goes here!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Just Got Here

john800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default basic turbo questions

I am thinking of building a low elevation turbo trail/lake race sled, I was thinking of an automotive turbo probobly a mitsu of some kind, seems alot are using the 16g I have not decided on a turbo yet but I want an automotive turbo not an aero due to cost and availability. I would be running a ultra bottom end, round slide carbs with an xcr 800 top end in my 98 rmk wedge chassis, soI would just like to list the things I know I will need to and if I am missing anything chime in Iam just trying to get an cost estimate before I jump into it. also If you have a good source for a part let me know, here is what I can think of

Electric fuel pump for oiling turbo and some sort of oil res what are you guys using for a res?
electric fuel pump for fuel system
airbox
blow off valve (source?) do I always need one or only if I run huge boost?
power jets (source?)and possibly ufos and or boswell mod for roundslide carbs
boost referenced fuel pressure regulator (source?)
turbo (need a source and an estimated price)
gauges what do I need for gauges?
extrenal wastegate

I was planning to run a mix of race gas and pump gas for low boost and straight race gas if I wanted to turn the boost up a little

Last edited by john800; 02-28-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:00 PM

TurboKeith Secretly Rides a SkiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by john800 View Post
I am thinking of building a low elevation turbo trail/lake race sled, I was thinking of an automotive turbo probobly a mitsu of some kind, seems alot are using the 16g I have not decided on a turbo yet but I want an automotive turbo not an aero due to cost and availability. I would be running a ultra bottom end, round slide carbs with an xcr 800 top end in my 98 rmk wedge chassis, soI would just like to list the things I know I will need to and if I am missing anything chime in Iam just trying to get an cost estimate before I jump into it. also If you have a good source for a part let me know, here is what I can think of

Electric fuel pump for oiling turbo and some sort of oil res what are you guys using for a res?
electric fuel pump for fuel system
airbox
blow off valve (source?) do I always need one or only if I run huge boost?
power jets (source?)and possibly ufos and or boswell mod for roundslide carbs
boost referenced fuel pressure regulator (source?)
turbo (need a source and an estimated price)
gauges what do I need for gauges?
extrenal wastegate

I was planning to run a mix of race gas and pump gas for low boost and straight race gas if I wanted to turn the boost up a little
Mitsu 16t is a good turbo for the 4-stroke, might be a bit small for a 2-stroke.

When I was running my 2-stroke turbo, I used an oil pump similar to to the one used on the MCX 4 stroke kits. I think it was from Muller racing.

The oil res should be made from aluminum and hold about a quart of oil. It needs to have a large gravity feed line from the bottom of the turbo and it needs a large (3/8"+) vent tube. The vent tube should have a PCV valve to keep oil from draining out in the event of a roll over.

A fuel pump capable of running 20 psi should be adequate. Walbro has plenty to choose from.

Air box once again should be aluminum. Nothing to fancy, a 2 to 2.5 inch hole in the top with the same size pipe welded in, match the carb spacing and size for the hole coming out the front. You should either have the piping cut with barbs or have a ring welded to the pipe ends. This will keep your boots in place.

I don't care what anyone says, you should always run a blow off valve. Check e-bay for a basic bov.

Power jets can be purchased from clippard. You'll have to solder a brass extension tube on for the length that you want to run. The other way to get them is to go through the turbo doc in Utah.

Most adjustable pressure regulators will let you plumb in a fitting for boost reference, Nothing too fancy needed here. check ebay

Turbos, go bigger than you think you'll need. Some of the M1000 kits are running garrett 3071's. I ran a Holset hy35 on my 800rmk. 2-strokes like big turbos. Once again.... ebay. Stay away from the cheap turbos made in china.

Guages should be simple. A straight forward boost gauge, it doesn't have to be oil filled. Fuel pressure gauge is a must for a carb'd 2-stroke. For air-fuel it's your choice, go with something like an AEM a/f gauge or you can try to get by with an EGT. EGT's are not the best because there is no such thing as a perfect temp. Every motor is different.

Wastegates... It really depends on the turbo your running. A big turbo can get more boost creep. If I was going to build one of these right now, I would install an external wastegate. It should give you more consistent results without the boost creep you get from internal wastegates.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM

sledhed is an unknown quantity at this point

how do you hook up a BOV on a 2 stroke. i was told mine didnt need one but would like any additional reassurance i can have especially after seeing how cheap you can get them on ebay
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Just Got Here

john800 is an unknown quantity at this point

A m1000 has about 255 cfm of airflow on the dyno, a m8 dyno that I saw that had some mods was making 150ish hp with 235 cfm or so, there are alot of these cats with turbos has anyone seen a dyno of an xcr that I could compare airflow with? I am just looking for a comarison to get a little better guess on what turbo would work best.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM

TurboKeith Secretly Rides a SkiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
how do you hook up a BOV on a 2 stroke. i was told mine didnt need one but would like any additional reassurance i can have especially after seeing how cheap you can get them on ebay
BOV on a 2 stroke is the same as a 4-stroke. It mounts on the charge air tube between the turbo and the airbox going into the carbs/tb's. There will be a nipple on the bov, you run a hose from that nipple to the vacuum side of the carbs/tb's. Depending on your setup, you may have to tap into a vacuum port or install your own fitting.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > MOD / FORCED AIR > TURBO'D / SUPERCHARGED