Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > CALIFORNIA & NEVADA

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
REBEL

Powdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Powdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default "POWDERCREW's" tech thread:

Been doing ALOT of "home-cooked" sled mods this last year. Since I gotta stable of different ponies, all crippled... I get to try a bunch of ideas without too much fear of hacking into sled metal. Decided I would share. ALOT of different older iron that may help guys with older sleds or give some other guys new ideas?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM
REBEL

Powdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Powdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from ARPowdercrew Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Arctic Cat 1M running board mod.

You will need to purchase the running board edge grips/angled rear braces off a 2010/newer M-series Arctic Cat.

Start by grinding the rivets on the bottom of the running board edges grips, they are riveted on. Remove the running board edge grips. I already had BETTERBOARDS inserts mounted, different brands may require different fit at the edge of the board, be sure to check. I trimmed the running board off about 4" back of the tunnel bracket mounting the upper swing (scissor) arm in the rear skid frame, leaving the "break" from the tunnel side to the board intact for side tunnel support. (I DID NOT cut the board off leaving the side of the TUNNEL FLUSH) I would recommend standing on the machine in your "stand-up" riding stance and see where you set your feet. How much board you take off will depend on your seat and where you position yourself.

The new M-series board edges will overlap any board inserts that are mounted. To Match the thickness of my BETTERBOARD inserts, I used 1/2 alum. flat bar that matched the BETTERBOARD thickness, and sandwiched it between the running board and rail edge from the rear of the board insert back to where I trimmed the running board off. I slid the new running board edge grip on over the BETTERBOARD insert edge/alum. flatbar, clamped it and drilled and riveted from underneath.

The rear angle braces to the tunnel need to be modified. The angle mnt on the bracket that attaches it to the tunnel needs to be cut-off, adjusted heighth-wise to match the tunnel and re-welded.

Last edited by Powdercrew; 04-05-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
REBEL

Default Hand-made 2 -WHEEL kit:

Parts I used: 151" 1M stock skid, the stock axle set-up from the 1M, two 8" wheels, 2 rear axle brackets from a '95 ZRT 121" skid w/ its axle adjusters and 6 axle washers (the stock axle comes with 4)

Starting with the stock 2003 1M 151" skid, I cut off the top of the axle loops:

The axle adjusters mount to the bracket, but the nuts on the backside dont have clearance to fit. So I had to notch the lower corner to allow the bottom nylock nut to fit. Drilled a hole in the corner and cut to it and filed down the edges.

Mounted the brackets with four 3/8 bolts. Nice thing with this, I can slide the brackets even further back 1 or 2 holes for adjustment if I need to. (which I shouldnt if I figured right). 151" skid w/ 153" track, but just putting the brackets on moved the axle back more than an inch. And going from the 7" to the 8" got me a little more. I looked at mounting the adjustment blocks both in and out of the rail, decided to go out to make adjustment easier. Slid it all together on the axle starting on one side... block, rail, washer,1 5/8" spacer (existing from the 151" with a 3 wheel rear wheel set-up), washer, 8" wheel...

Once i got this far, I cut another 1 5/8" spacer from the existing long spacer from the stock 151" rear axle, took a measurement from the 2 front inner skid wheels and matched the measurement for the rear wheels. Cut what was left of the long spacer down to 4 1/4", and finished sliding all the pieces on so I could cut down the axle shaft itself. Total layout: block, rail, washer, spacer, washer, wheel, washer, spacer, washer, wheel, washer, spacer, washer, rail, block.

Marked where the axle was protruding past the block on the other end, cut it flush with the block, drilled the center hole 5/16" and tapped it 3/8-16.

...and tightened it all up. WA-LA! 8" 2-wheel kit!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
REBEL

Default POLARIS IQ seat/tank to the Arctic Cat 1M:

This mod will work with multiple sleds using multiple tanks/seats using the same general idea for the brackets.

Pre-fit the tank/seat up to the steering hoop to check fit and clearence for the steering post. Certain sleds (including the 1M) have a "break" in the tunnel, it sweeps up and isnt straight to the rear bumper. You'll probably have to cut the existing tank mounting points off the steering hoop.

Useing 1/2 steel flatbar and 1/2 steel angle, be sure to first "mock" everything up. looking for alignments. The angle will set on the steering hoop wherever best fit is. The steel flatbar will weld to the angle, then be "broke" at an angle putting the ends of the flatbar flat over the top of the tank. I drilled and bolted the brackets to the hoop needing to notch one angle to clear the coolant bottle bracket and used countersunk 1/4" flatheads w/ nylocks being sure the flatheads were against the airbox. This may change on different sleds, depending on how they were built.

The IQ tank was longer than stock and overlapped the angle in the tunnel, leaving a gap between the bottom of the tank and the tunnel. To give the tank a firm base to sit on, I used 2" wide x 24" long alum. flatbar and ran a piece of 3/4" foam adhesive back weatherstrip down each side. I riveted that piece to the tunnel roughly 2" in from the edge of the tunnel to assure they would be hidden.

To finish up the mounting, I sild the tank and seat into place and used a hammer to bend the flatbar front brackets up or down for a snug fit. Drill the tunnel for the rear fuel tank holes and be sure when mounting the seat... pull the rear mounting bar at the back of the seat forward by hand taking up any slack BEFORE marking to drill. There is some "slop" in the braket, if you dont "snug" it forward, there will be enough to allow the seat to move back just far enough to "unhook" from the front. The rear tabs to mount the rear of the tank are just plastic, so... with the tank sitting on the foam, I just used 1/4 bolts w/ nylock nuts and just SNUGGED them not putting EXCESSIVE PRESSURE on those plastic tabs.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
REBEL

Default Forward Post, late-90's ZR:

This sled is a '97 Arctic Cat ZRT. This mod is simple... remove the bottom skid plate. Remove your bars from the post and disconnect the post from underneath. Slid the post downward just far enough to clear the steering hoop and slide it back up on the FRONT side of the hoop. At the upper end of the hoop, just rotate the bracket from the rear of the hoop to the front and put her all back together. You may want to decide if this is for you as the STOCK tank/seat setup on these older sleds sets you farther back on the chassis. In the sitting position, you will be up on the joint of the seat and tank. Using the IQ mod above... a tank/seat upgarde would be a good idea. As you may see in this pick, I will experimenting with a 1M seat/tank, running steel angle against the steering hoop and flatbar up to the top of the tank. I also added 1M handlebars to finish of the feel.

Last edited by Powdercrew; 04-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM
REBEL

PAINTING YOUR SUSPENSION on the CHEAP!...

Powdercoat is spendy and no-one does it local, so I just paint my own stuff! On the ZRT, tried semi-gloss exterior house paint. rough sanded the parts just to scuff them up, primed em with spray primer, BRUSHED on 3 coats (HEAVY) with a 1" brush. After they had dried, 2 coats of spray on clear acrylic... done! (and they really dont look bad if your not building a SHOW sled)

Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

put the post on the motor side of the hoop and move the lower mount over 1/2 and make it a forward mount post this help the Ol 1 M a lot.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
REBEL

Looked into that... not even close to enough room to clear my carbs without some SERIOUS bending. Already have MAJOR strength issues with the whole steering post setup from cat. The FLY riser works AWESOME and the setup is EXACTLY where I want it. (without geometery mods to the whole setup) Gonna custom fab a SOLID STEEL steering post this summer.

DID do that mod on the ZRT!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > CALIFORNIA & NEVADA