Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MINNESOTA

Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Default Float plane flips on water landing; far end of 'my lake.'

Happened Sunday afternoon. I didn't hear about it until early evening. This lake is 6,000 acres, and in 3-large sections, and 10 miles end-to-end.
One of the comments noted was the land wheels were down and should have been retracted. (Click on pics.)
Is this so? I'm not an expert.
http://brainerddispatch.com/news/201...orth-long-lake

This accident happened in the large mid-section about 5 miles across.
I'm on the northern section, about 1.25 mi by 1.5 mi.bordering Co.Rd. #3.
(SW bay borders hwy 371.)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 PM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

Pics of recovered float plane.
The dunked plane is a kit, called a "Carbon Cub." Looks like a very nice craft.
Right now it is parked by my neighbors hangar. (Not his plane) It was a handy place to get it off the lake.

I walked down there this morning, and 2 FAA inspectors and 2 deputies were there.
The plane appears to have no physical damage to the air frame, but Im sure the electronics and instruments will be ruined.
They had the engine running already.

The cause was due to the wheels down, and drag in the water flipped the plane.
Oof-da. Costly mistake.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Just Got Here

bigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigsnowman Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I thought that hanger looked familiar.....maybe because I've worked in it! Here's hoping your plumbing remains leak free

Thanks for the pics!
BCR Member #2000
Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

My Uncle owned a resort over on Round lake (south side off of 371), called Snuggle Inn. Sold it a number of years ago.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i was wondering if the wheels weren't the reason it flipped. did he just forget about them?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Du View Post
i was wondering if the wheels weren't the reason it flipped. did he just forget about them?
I overheard the inspectors say (while I was standing there) the drag from forgetting the wheels was the cause.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
REBEL

I "googled" the plane kit mfgr.
Holy backflips, thats not cheap, and floats are extra.
180 HP Engine
1,320 lb. Gross Weight
2 Seat - Pilot / Copilot
2013 models from $172,990
2012 models from $163,280
http://www.cubcrafters.com/aircraft

Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 AM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

any word on whos plane it was?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM
REBEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Du View Post
any word on whos plane it was?
I didn't ask, but maybe I'll wander down there this evening when Doug is home and ask. Post info later.

I'm curious to see if the plane is still there. If they were going to truck it out, wings removed, they would have to come past my place, so far have not seen that.
But, I'm not always here or watching every vehicle..... but this morning its the parade of trash pickup trucks.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 AM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowizard View Post
I didn't ask, but maybe I'll wander down there this evening when Doug is home and ask. Post info later.

I'm curious to see if the plane is still there. If they were going to truck it out, wings removed, they would have to come past my place, so far have not seen that.
But, I'm not always here or watching every vehicle..... but this morning its the parade of trash pickup trucks.
Don't lie Wiz, you are an old man you watch every vehicle that goes past your house and then watch for it to go back past.

Proud member of the BCR Chit Box Brain Trust!!!!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MINNESOTA