Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > CLASSIFIEDS > Parts and Accessories > Clothing/Gear

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Prospect

aleks Has earned a rub and tug from AR
aleks Has earned a rub and tug from ARaleks Has earned a rub and tug from ARaleks Has earned a rub and tug from ARaleks Has earned a rub and tug from ARaleks Has earned a rub and tug from ARaleks Has earned a rub and tug from AR

i wear the shoei, comfortable, warm and enough room for my speakers from my snofone, have you tried wearing a balaclava while riding? i find that helps alot. only thing i didnt like about the helmet was the price.

600$ helmet for a 15$ noggin

you only have one head so treat it right
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
600$ helmet for a 15$ noggin
Shoei/Arai make great helmets no doubt... but yeah, that price tag's a tough one to swallow.

Helmets only last me a year or so anyways... If I could get a solid 4 years out of a $600 helmet I'd probably go for it.

The only reason my last helmet has gone two seasons is because I have two of them (MX and a dualsport) and switch between 'em. So I'll stick with the $200 lids.

But +1 for the balaclava. Worth a shot too.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
REBEL

Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Brightstar Has earned a rub and tug from ARBrightstar Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandgrrl View Post
So, Ive bought 2 helmets so far and keep coming up with the same issue. After wearing for half a day or so, they KILL the cartilage on the outside of my ears.
What the hell is a girl to do?
Remove her earrings
Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Prospect

broncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from AR
broncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from ARbroncoformudv Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Revolution View Post
I have a solution...

The brand, "Crap ass Helmets" really makes an inferior product along with their line of "Crap ass Gloves" that don't have thumbs built into them... You might wanna think about changing brands

And welcome to BCR!

On a serious note, while 509 helmets are semi expensive (@ $170)

I recently found out that 509 and AFX FX-17 helmets are made by the same company to the same specs and AFX are half the price.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....owtopic=505216
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
I recently found out that 509 and AFX FX-17 helmets are made by the same company to the same specs and AFX are half the price.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index....owtopic=505216
You do realize only a couple actual companies make the shells for ALL the brands, and its up to the company to take that shell and make it theirs from there? HAve tried on an AFX helmet before and I currently own the 509, they are NOT the same.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Just Got Here

bigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Red face

Thanks for all the replies kids! I really appreciate!

First off, you suggest trying them on in the store. Yep, did this with both helmets. The problem is, they only start hurting after several hours of pressure on the ears. Now, I suppose I could hang out in the store wearing their helmet, but they may wind up thinking Im a wierdo and kick me out.

As far as earings go... you had me for a second. I reached up and felt where Im pierced - but alas, my three small rings are about 1/2 inch down from where the cartlidge begins to hurt ~ thought you had solved my problem there for a second!

I think you guys are on track with the cheek pads and my helmet maybe fitting too tight. (When they start hurting I have a tendency to reach up, grab my straps and yank them apart - relieving the pressure if only for a few seconds) My darling hunny had my shake my head in the store to make sure they didnt fit too loose - telling me that they get bigger with wear. Maybe I just need to grin and bear it for a bit until the helmet starts to give a little? Not exactly my favorite idea as its pretty uncomfortable at mid day....Ill look at the cheek pad idea!

I almost ALWAYS wear a balaklava. Where we ride it really isnt warm enough to go without - Maybe I should try to ride without one and see if that makes any sort of difference. Maybe its preventing my ears from sitting where they need to be?

I LOVE my Thor helmet otherwise! I dont sweat, keeps my head warm and most importantly, the longer breath box keeps my goggles from fogging/freezing up. Im going to look into cheek pads, see what I come up with.

Thanks for the advice on not buying Crap Ass Helmets anymore. I dont know anything about Crap Ass Gloves as Im rocking the Klim Inversion Gloves and I LOVE THEM!!!! No stupid phat padding imobilizing my fingers, but still keep my paws dry and warm! (I also like the Polar Paws too - but wear my Klims more often)

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
REBEL

Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Hawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from ARHawkster Has earned a rub and tug from AR

One other thing that I noticed is the shape of the helmet . there are helmets that are rounder and than there are the more common ones that have the long jaw , some of the ones with the long jaw are also tapered to hook under the jaw , less likely to break your jaw from a side impact but raises cain on the ears . This is an extreme example but look at an Arai ... rounded . I've got a Troy Lee Air also rounded , half the expense is the name though .
Back Country Rebels - Forums > CLASSIFIEDS > Parts and Accessories > Clothing/Gear