Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > CLASSIFIEDS > Parts and Accessories > Clothing/Gear

Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Just Got Here

bigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from ARbigislandgrrl Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Crap ass Helmets

So, Ive bought 2 helmets so far and keep coming up with the same issue. After wearing for half a day or so, they KILL the cartilage on the outside of my ears.
BOTH helmets do this, ones a Scorpion cheapo, the other, a Thor, not so cheapo.
Maybe Im deformed? Maybe my ears sit too low/high/retarded?

What the hell is a girl to do?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Try on more helmets.

Some fit a lot different than others. Brands vary, obviously, but even different models within the same brand can have radically different shapes.

Might be worth looking for helmets with speaker compatibility, they've got a little more room in the ears to accomodate for helmet speakers. My dualsport helmet is like that.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
"Sick and Twisted"

Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP
Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP

I use a 509 helmet and my ears fit nicely inside a void surrounded by padding.

I know about sore ears too... My pillow's too hard and sometimes I'll wake out of a dead sleep in agonizing ear pain!
BCR #343
Proud member of team WTF?

A Little Older, A Little Wiser...
Well, A Little Older Anyway
http://www.northwestglaciercruisers.com/
http://www.wssa.us/
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.nwac.us/

Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
REBEL

Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP
Get Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLPGet Lucky Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Revolution View Post

I know about sore ears too... My pillow's too hard and sometimes I'll wake out of a dead sleep in agonizing ear pain!
That chit hurts
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Prospect

Grizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Grizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrizz88 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Find a diff boy friend that can straighten your ears for you. Hang On!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
"Sick and Twisted"

Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP
Adrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLPAdrenaline Revolution Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandgrrl View Post
So, Ive bought 2 helmets so far and keep coming up with the same issue. After wearing for half a day or so, they KILL the cartilage on the outside of my ears.

I have a solution...

The brand, "Crap ass Helmets" really makes an inferior product along with their line of "Crap ass Gloves" that don't have thumbs built into them... You might wanna think about changing brands

And welcome to BCR!

On a serious note, while 509 helmets are semi expensive (@ $170) Tom, from 509, worked with me after I bought one from him and realized it was too tight.
He sent me 3 different cheek pad combinations to try in it until I found the perfect fit and for me one side ended up being bigger than the other because it fit, and felt better on my ears and cheeks.
I think the larger sized ones (Thinner) have bigger ear holes

BCR #343
Proud member of team WTF?

A Little Older, A Little Wiser...
Well, A Little Older Anyway
http://www.northwestglaciercruisers.com/
http://www.wssa.us/
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
http://www.sharetrails.org/
http://www.nwac.us/

Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

My HJC MX helmets (previously AC-X3, currently CL-X6) come in 6 sizes, but there's only 3 shell sizes. The XS and S, M and L, and XL/XXL are only different from the pads stuffed inside the helmet.

I'm between a Med and Large... so I can take the top liner from a Large (or buy a Large helmet) and buy the Medium cheek pads, they'll snap right in and give me a great fit.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
REBEL

FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
FatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from ARFatDog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandgrrl View Post

Holy crap, how big are your ears? ha ha just kidding.

The best thing is to try on as many helmets as possible. If you don't have certain dealers near you, research on line and find companies that offer free returns and just order a couple and send them back.
HD Street Glide
Legend enclosed (The Toy Box)

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Go to every dealer in town. Go in color blind. Don't look for a helmet that looks nice. Try one every brand you can get your hands one. They are all cut and shaped diffferently as are our heads. What is comfy to one person, is painful to the next. Eventually, you will slip on "the one" that fits like no other. Now that you have the brand, and size, thumb through their catolog and find the color and options you want in a helment. Then pray that they never change that mold! Been there, and have had ex's in my life go through this. It's worth wating a couple days or more trying them on once you find the one that fits like no other.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Has JEEP WAVE envy

777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP
777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP777 Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
My HJC MX helmets (previously AC-X3, currently CL-X6) come in 6 sizes, but there's only 3 shell sizes. The XS and S, M and L, and XL/XXL are only different from the pads stuffed inside the helmet.

I'm between a Med and Large... so I can take the top liner from a Large (or buy a Large helmet) and buy the Medium cheek pads, they'll snap right in and give me a great fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Revolution View Post

On a serious note, while 509 helmets are semi expensive (@ $170) Tom, from 509, worked with me after I bought one from him and realized it was too tight.
He sent me 3 different cheek pad combinations to try in it until I found the perfect fit and for me one side ended up being bigger than the other because it fit, and felt better on my ears and cheeks.
I think the larger sized ones (Thinner) have bigger ear holes

I didn't know any of that. Thanks guys. Makes sense though. Padding being the biggest difference
Originally Posted by Hawgman
What Ford guy doesn't have a chip.... exhaust.... intake.... chrome plated cup holder.... driving lites on all the time...inflated ego...36 inch rubber.. naked lady mud flaps... trucker envy...
Back Country Rebels - Forums > CLASSIFIEDS > Parts and Accessories > Clothing/Gear