Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > WATER SPORTS

Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
Default Hard starting 10 horse outboard

just like it says, I have a 9.9 outboard, it will run fine once going, but it's the getting going that is hard. Will take up to 2o pulls to fire. No ideas on my end, other then maybe sucking air? It will want to fire and sputter out until you keep yanking on the rope....i can smell gas and see it floating in the lake.

Anyone have ideas of where to start?

Could it be an issue that the motor will sit for 1-2 weeks until it is ran? Should I try running it dry after a day of use? I can run all day and then the next morning have a beotch of a time starting it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

What brand? Johnson?
Years ago some motors had a problem with upper crank seal under the flywheel leaking just enough oil that it got on the ign points located there. After much cranking it would finally start.

Another idea is the flywheel key that holds the crank and fly wheel together. If that key gets warn from normal use, or motor stopped abruptly from hitting something, that key can get a nick in it, just enough to throw the timing off.

Sounds like you have tried other things as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
BCR's Souless Ginger

xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP
xrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLPxrated Offical PLP

Evinrude

I tightened up the connection for the gas line and am trying new plugs.

if that fails it's on to carb tear down and perhaps your ideas Wiz. The motor is 80s vintage so it has seen some use.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

Bad coil? Leaky ignition wires? Weak condenser?
Is there a ignition shut off switch inside the cowling associated with the twist grip throttle that is malfunctioning?
Mouse nest?

Just adding, thats not a real old motor, it may have a solid state piezoelectric ignition.

Last edited by Snowizard; 06-18-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > WATER SPORTS