Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS

SLED HEADS General Sled Chat

Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
REBEL

ericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLP
ericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLPericbigbore Offical PLP

Crazy story, I'm glad you guys are ok. The 100 to 200 yard window at the very beginning is how it goes sometimes. Not trying to play Monday Morning QB but do you guys have a GPS? Would it even have helped? Would 3 more feet of snow made it easy or was it doom either way?

This is why I never go below the lowest road in my old age. Not that that's what you guys did but I was so dumb in the past, this is my nightmare on a sled.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Yamadoo04 Can cook for the Washington Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbigbore View Post
Crazy story, I'm glad you guys are ok. The 100 to 200 yard window at the very beginning is how it goes sometimes. Not trying to play Monday Morning QB but do you guys have a GPS? Would it even have helped? Would 3 more feet of snow made it easy or was it doom either way?

This is why I never go below the lowest road in my old age. Not that that's what you guys did but I was so dumb in the past, this is my nightmare on a sled.
Actually I carry a phone with the Ski tracks App on it so I can see where I am at (if I have Cell service to actually see the satalite map) In this case I did get service and was able to see where I was after we dropped off the first face of pines and into the quakies. Once we were down I could see a couple of open spots on the map on my phone and I was trying to make it through the trees to get to them. I knew if I could get to the open areas we would be good. I could not find my way through the thick trees and decieded to follow the tracks down a little bit and see if I could get up the ravine to the right instead of going down the canyon. Well as i got further down I never found the ravine to the right and it just got steeper and steeper. We were down pretty far before i realized it and we were past the point of no return. Going down some stuff wasnt bad or so we thought until we turned around and tried to go back out. It was just too steep, thick trees, and low snow getting stuck on logs and rocks trying to go back up. We made the decision that while we probably could go up it might take us longer to get out than it would be to go down. Getting stuck evey 10 feet sucks trying to go up. With going down we were moving faster and didn't get stuck every 10 feet. we figured with the tracks down there being snow covered and knowing that it have been a few days since it snowed last that even if the people before us had to walk out, they would have come back up and got their sleds out in the next day or so. So we decieded to take the chance that they had eventually made it out and therefore would have a trail out the bottom.

The attached picture is what I can see on my phone while out riding. It shows where we have been on the map so I knew where I was and where I wanted to get to but I just couldn't get there. Where the finish point is on the map is where I left the sleds and hiked down the canyon and then back up. I turned off the tracking at that point so my phone battery would not run dead. this is where we tried to go back up but it was allready too steep and rocky to get back out. BTW I do carry the SPOT so I can send a message to my buddies & family if I get in a situation that I need help with if I can't get cell service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-31-12 Wolf Creek Dont Go Here.jpg (68.5 KB, 201 views)

http://www.cafepress.com/yamadooshop

http://www.yamadoosnowmobiles.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/yamadoo04

If you have to measure it in inches, Whats the point?
Proud member of USA-ALL, SAWS, and Blue Ribbion Coalition
Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Prospect

spomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from AR
spomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from AR

TTT just a good read and reminder!!! also Yamadoo4 that map you posted is exactly the course I ran trying to find a way out (get to the bottom of the valley, tried right, then tried straight across then headed down)!!!! hahaha

Trees are mostly air....mostly.....Cept'n that center part!!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Just Got Here

800CatGuy Has earned a rub and tug from AR

That is an awesome story. Can happen to anybody. Glad to hear it all turned out well.
Great Learning Experience.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Excellent write up, glad you all made it out ok.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Prospect

spomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from AR
spomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from ARspomey Has earned a rub and tug from AR

TTT for 2018

Trees are mostly air....mostly.....Cept'n that center part!!!!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > SLED HEADS