Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS

SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS Forum dedicated to the single ski riders

Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 AM
Just Got Here

bobolich Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Flotation. Track width vs track length.

When it comes to flotation and trenching, which one is better? Long and narrow or wide and short, given the contact area against the snow stays the same.
Is it only the contact area of the track that matters,(angle of attack, suspension, etc stays the same), or does one have advantages over the other?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Prospect

dirtypainter Has earned a rub and tug from AR

The approach angle matters I think 17 degrees is the magic number I have both 163 15 with m series suspension it stays on top of the snow awesome then I have 153 x 13 with stock suspension seems all right but it still trenches but it's all in what u what to do if u want to do it fast cut track if u want a custom put a tunnel on and widen the hawk I have fun on both of them sometimes it's fun to not know if ur going to make it other times it's nice to know ur going to not going to get stuck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2016, 02:50 AM
Just Got Here

bobolich Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Il try to explain a bit better, sorry for my bad English.

Lets say we have 2 identical snowmobiles(hawks) with the same engine, same approach angle, same extroverts, wheels, and the same rear skid(except length), identical tracks (lug height/pattern flex etc) except from length and width.

One has a 15x121 track, the other 12,5x141 track. I have not calculated this, but lets say they have exactly the same contact area against the snow.

Which one will stay on top of the snow better?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Prospect

Grr Has earned a rub and tug from ARGrr Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Don't worry so Much about staying on top of the snow. Fact is the 141 inch track will dig into the firm or base layer and go much much farther than any with 121 inch track could dream of
Old 02-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Prospect

007_Hawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR007_Hawk Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Good Question

I'm not so sure but I would guess the narrower track would turn quicker while the wider would "float" better. Maybe its just finding the sweet spot of both?
I can tell you widening my track from 12.5" to 13.5" with same length and slightly bigger lugs made a noticeable difference.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > BRAND SPECIFIC TECH / DISCUSSION > SNOWHAWK & CONVERSION KITS