Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MINNESOTA

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Exclamation Camaro clocked at 171 mph on Highway 61

From todays Duluth-News-Tribune: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/new...mph-highway-61
.................................................. ..............................................
"What is it about the Duluth-Two Harbors expressway?"

In February it was a Nissan Sentra doing 137 mph. And on Friday night a jet-black 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS was clocked at 171 mph on that stretch of Minnesota Highway 61.

Hermantown Police Department Deputy Chief Shawn Padden was on loan as part of a Minnesota State Patrol "Toward Zero Deaths" DWI saturation effort Friday night when the radar in his Dodge Charger squad car started screaming.

"I had just come off (McQuade Road) heading toward Duluth, right by the Sinclair gas station," Padden said. "He was going north, or east, toward Two Harbors. ... The first speed that came up was 171, then 168 and then 143. When he went by me it was a blur. You get used to seeing people going 65 or 70 and what that looks like. But I've never seen anything like this. It's like a rocket on wheels at that point."

Padden happened to be right at a crossover and made a hurried U-turn heading for Two Harbors. It was 6:50 p.m.

"I hit the lights and siren and called it in to the State Patrol. ... I had to get my car up to 135 just to get close enough for him to see my lights on," Padden said.

The driver, a 36-year-old Lakeside man, pulled over quickly "which is good because we'd probably be in Canada right now," Padden joked. { }

When asked, of course, the man said he didn't know how fast he was going. An unidentified woman was in the passenger seat.

Padden said he wrote the driver a "coupon" for misdemeanor careless driving, a step above the usual petty misdemeanor traffic ticket.

A guilty finding or plea on a careless driving charge can bring up to a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail and, for cases involving speeds of more than 100 mph, can result in revocation of driver's license under Minnesota law.

"If he hits anything at that speed, a deer or whatever, it's going to end badly for the people in that car and maybe for someone else. There is no reaction time at that speed," Padden said. "That's the fastest I've ever seen" on radar.

The Camaro 1SS has a 455 horsepower, 6.2 liter V-8 engine. Car and Driver magazine says the car will do 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds, 0-100 mph in 9.3 seconds and has a top speed of about 160 mph.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

Time to hit BIR and see what she can do.....

Seen that on the news tonight.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 AM
REBEL

Quinlan Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Quinlan Has earned a rub and tug from ARQuinlan Has earned a rub and tug from ARQuinlan Has earned a rub and tug from ARQuinlan Has earned a rub and tug from ARQuinlan Has earned a rub and tug from ARQuinlan Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I can understand the Camaro...

But the Sentra doing 137? Dang. Must have been a hellacious tailwind.

A mountain lion roaming the prairie found a bull, killed it, and ate the entire bull. With a heavy belly, unable to walk, the lion laid in the tall grass moaning and roaring. Soon a hunter, attracted by the roaring, shot and killed the lion. Moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

He should fight it with them saying the top speed is 160 and if he was doing 171.. haha

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

The road is a nice 4-lane that runs in view of the north shore line of Lake Superior.
Those pistons were really "pissing" at 171 MPH.

Last edited by Snowizard; 04-13-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > MINNESOTA