Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > MOTOCROSS / CROSS COUNTRY / CROSS TERRAIN

Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Default Honda 450 cases

Question, My kid found a CRF450 that has a cracked case. He also found a new(used) case for it. Has anyone ever split the cases, and re-assembled them after taking the inner workings out? Bike is reasonable for what it is. Just don't want a box of parts sitting in the shop.

I have a gnarly set of tools, couple cases of beer and open space on the shop table.

Thanks.

Mac

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Not a CRF, but I've been in and out of my 525 a few times now. Really not too hard.

You'll need a complete gasket kit (not just the top-end kit).
Might be worth freshening it up with a new piston, cylinder hone or replate, carb cleaning, and a good check-over all the bearings/seals while you're in there.
Take a look through the service manual and see if there's any "special tools" you actually need. A lot of the "special tools" for mine either aren't necessary or can be built using items found around the house ($120 for a clutch bleed tool, or 2" of carb tubing stuck on a syringe from the drugstore...)

Follow the steps in teh service manual for reassembly.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/4-honda/

#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 10-21-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:38 AM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

One tool that will make life a little easier is a gear jammer:

You'll want a torque wrench for sure, a case splitter and a crank puller are sure nice to have but you can improvise them if needed.
90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R
Plus snow and dirt toys for the kiddos too

Honey badger would approve this message, but he don't give a sh!t.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:09 PM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

I have torque wrenches and lots of misc hand tools. Build motors on the sleds. Never heard of a crank puller. Simular to a fly wheel puller? What's involved with a case splitter? I normally use a plastic wedges to split the bottom of the two strokes.

Mule, thank for the thumper talk. I'll need to check that out.

Rmk, I always wondered how to use that tool.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:34 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

"crows foot puller", perhaps?

Crank on mine is a slip-fit into the crank bearings in the case. Don't need to press/pull it out, but you do need a puller for the timing gear and freewheel hub for the starter.
Need a flywheel puller for the bike too, those are cheap though.

"Case splitter" .... your hands? :dunno Once all the bolts are out, the cases just kinda slide apart. KTM sells a holder (at a premium price) but I've never really felt the need for it. There's a couple springs/parts you kinda have to watch for (the ones in the shift fork shafts, as well as the bushings on the shift forks that engage into the shift drum) but there shouldn't be anything real tricky when it comes to pulling the cases apart.

Take everything off both sides...

...then it just kinda comes apart.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 AM
"Dead Sexeh Cougar Bait"

RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP
RMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLPRMKcowboy Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 View Post
I have torque wrenches and lots of misc hand tools. Build motors on the sleds. Never heard of a crank puller. Simular to a fly wheel puller? What's involved with a case splitter? I normally use a plastic wedges to split the bottom of the two strokes.

Mule, thank for the thumper talk. I'll need to check that out.

Rmk, I always wondered how to use that tool.
Case splitter may not be needed, but I've found on other Honda's it has helped a ton. You thread some long bolts into the case and basically press the cases apart by pressing on one end of the crank. You can use an auto steering wheel puller to get the job done too. Also helpful for pushing the crank out of the bearings. I've never worked on a KTM but on Yamaha's and Honda's I've had apart the crank bearings are interference fit.

Crank puller is used to pull the crank and cases back together on reassembly and seat the crank in the crank bearings.

90 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
91 XR 200R
Plus snow and dirt toys for the kiddos too

Honey badger would approve this message, but he don't give a sh!t.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > MOTOCROSS / CROSS COUNTRY / CROSS TERRAIN