Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP

Term limits....
1 in office..... 1 in JAIL!!!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Groggy you having any over heating issues with yours? I have the pleasure to be given the job to figure out how to keep our 809 6x6's at work from overheating and going into limp mode. My next task is pulling the stock radiator and mounting behind the roll cage.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP

Next item to adress is the rear floorboards. I had 2 cracks show up late last yr and didn't get to em before they had spread a couple inches. Polaris thinks that there is no need for floor crossmembers or supports..... again, briliant huh

The outer floor boards I supported with some simple 1.25" wide by 1/8" flat bar and using an existing floor screw hole made the crossmembers. The center needed a crossmember also but was bit harder to fab. I took some 1.25" channel iron and after some notching and bending it fit the center hump perfectly. Some self tapping screws and drilling an 1/8" hole in the end of each crack to stop the crack from spreading, should hold up well.

Term limits....
Old 08-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
Groggy you having any over heating issues with yours? I have the pleasure to be given the job to figure out how to keep our 809 6x6's at work from overheating and going into limp mode. My next task is pulling the stock radiator and mounting behind the roll cage.
Maybe runs a touch hotter than it used to but most my issue is the fuel problem ... I think it is damn near boiling when I stop and let the heat from the pipe and motor soak into the fuel line and tank. After about 15 minutes of sitting with the rear seat off it cools enough to run again.

Next step I may try to keep the motor running cooler a bit is to try Evans Waterless Coolant. Pricey stuff but it may help, dunno. http://www.evanscooling.com/
It sounds like good stuff and might help you guys too in the hotter conditions and heavy loads you are in.

Term limits....
Old 08-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1334 View Post
And just noticed........ 809 6x6s ???? You gonna be busy!!!!!!!!

Term limits....
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

Sorry was fat fingering the phone. Our 800 motor setups keep overheating and we have tried it all including the evans, and it hasn't helped yet. Or issue is that these are used mostly for weed spraying, so low speeds and heavy loads. Didn't know if you ever had conditions where yours has overheated but it sounds like not really, just the fuel cooking haha.

It sounds like it is mostly the 800 design and the 900 is much better. Just wish they would come out with the 900 in a 6x6.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM
I-Da-Azzhole

What temps are you guys seeing?
I can see where you are heating up with slow driving and the heavy loads too.
Hottest I ever seen on my Crew is 222f, that was towing a 14' Jon boat on a good hot day.
Wonder if installing a fan like I did would help any? I havn't had a chance to go out and fully test it over a long run, just a couple short runs to get wood for camp last weekend. I will watch my temps too to see if things change there.

Term limits....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

My fan runs alot. Like most often. But I've never had an overheat issue if I wasn't either low on coolant, or had a radiator that was plugged up with either mud or ice.

No doubt you've tried new thermostats. What temp does your fan kick on at? Mine is 204. I forget where it shuts back off but I want to say it's 192. Maybe try wiring the fan to where it's always on? No doubt you've checked to make sure you can see daylight through all the fins. Alot of folks will wash the radiators off and they appear clean. The surface is. But all the fins are still packed tight with mud. Don't hit them with a pressure washer! You will bend all the fins destroying the radiator. It won't leak. But it also won't cool. Same thing. No air flow through it. Slowly work it with just a garden hose. Lots of volume but low pressure. Takes alot of time. In extreme cases I've had to pull them out and soak them in a tub for a couple days. Flush. Soak another day. Flush again. Repeat til clean.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Currently I have it wired so that the fan comes on at all times when the key is turned. The Fan mod under the seat has me intrigued, not to keep the heat off the seat but maybe move some air underneath when it's not getting a lot of air flow.

Radiator was just pulled over the winter and steam cleaned professionally, it's still really clean when I inspected. The issue I think is that the impeller on the pump is plastic from what I am told, and when over heated can be damaged by the fins beside and not moving as much flow.. Thanks Polaris for the weight savings... Lol. Thermostat is good and we even had it drilled as an extra precaution.

I think my next step is the fan idea as well as radiator relocation. I think I can use the same hoses that go under the cab up front as well as the wiring, straighten it out and run it straight up to get by on the cheap for parts. A piece of angle iron welded or bolted to the rops and then mount the overflow somewhere where it won't overflow on a passenger, or extend that hose down below. I have a plan of attack just pissed I have to go to such lengths to get 5 minutes without it going into limp mode.

Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > ATV / UTV