Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > STREET BIKES

Old 05-05-2015, 02:35 PM
REBEL

BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Any other riders go through the HID vs. LED upgrades for the 5 3/4"?

Just scored a decent, new2me headlamp for Betty (my HoG). I picked up a $50, cheap ass, sealed beam after the wreck/rebuild but it's finally burned out the low beam and the light casing is so small anyway, that when I put the windshield on... the headlight is dead flush with it, so it just looks stupid.

So now that Spring is upon us and the swap-meets are starting up, I ran by one the other day and scored a nice DNA Cycle Products headlamp for $50. Pretty much... this one: http://www.motoparthub.com/M_HL_0071...FUJrfgodLnAADQ

So... the light housing is a little dull and I honestly don't even know if it works yet. I took it apart and the housing lens is dull and foggy but the bulb looks new. Thought about testing it with a car battery or car charger... but don't want to fry it.

Anyway... I've been trying to read up on these but there's just too much info and mis-info out there to sort out the real deal.
I don't have money to burn but with the deer and coyote out here in the sticks, I really would like to get as much good lighting as I can without taxing the bikes electrical to death.

So... has anyone done an HID conversion or an LED one? I'm picking up that the LED is so directional right now, it's not the best choice for side lighting (almost as important and front, especially out of the city). Then I've read that a lot of folks are having problems with the HID's blowing out, assuming they can even fit the ballast in the bulb housing. I don't want to wire the ballast all the way under the seat, so a narrow ballast is best. I've read some are fine, others fight it until they give up and stick 'em under the seat.
Then there's projector options, which I know nothing about... and I'm seeing setups with two separate bulbs, one for low, another for high and conversations and mixes of all the options. Everybody says theirs are the best... until the get the next one.

The housing I just picked up is about 7" deep with e 5 3/4" bulb, so I should be able to get a full HID setup in there... I think.

Anyway, just hoping some of you who ride may have already gone through some of this and could share experience with me.
I am not a #... I am a FREE REBEL, #6000!!!
sled stats:
2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900
162 x 16 x 3 challenger extreme non-ported track
IceAge Rails & WRP Assault Seat w/bag
billet 9" rear wheel kit
goldfinger left hand throttle
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Old 05-05-2015, 05:08 PM
"Little Creep"

TROUT HUNTER has disabled reputation

I recently got a clean 82 yami maxim 550 that i was kicking around looking into LEDs for at least the head lamp so Ill be interested what some people have to say.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
REBEL

BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR
BikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from ARBikerPepe` Has earned a rub and tug from AR

well... I spoke to a friend who did an LED bulb upgrade from Cree. He was telling me that a lot of the "directional" complaints about LED's are coming from folks who've bought a regular (car/truck) LED setup instead of one designed for a motorcycle.
Made sense... regular setup to work with two bulbs to cover the spread, while the motorcycle had just the one (most of the time) and needs to be designed to spread the light better.

Haven't gotten much response on any of the forums I cruise though, so still waiting for another experienced user to give me some feedback.
I'll keep this one up to date for ya trout, if I make a move.
I am not a #... I am a FREE REBEL, #6000!!!
sled stats:
2004 Arctic Cat King Cat 900
162 x 16 x 3 challenger extreme non-ported track
IceAge Rails & WRP Assault Seat w/bag
billet 9" rear wheel kit
goldfinger left hand throttle
powder pro skis
speedwerx pipe & can
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > MOTORCYCLES / MOTOCROSS > STREET BIKES