Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM
SENILE MEMBER

Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Default Smoked Salmon (Lox)

I do a lot of fish smoking. This we use sockeye for as the other salmon species are not as firm and lox must be firm.
Dry brining with brown sugar and coarse salt.
[IMG][/IMG]
After 20 hours in dry brine the moisture releases and the fillets are ready for rinsing.
[IMG][/IMG]
Then after piercing and tying up the drying phase commences.
[IMG][/IMG]
Then once dry, hang in cold smoker for 3-4 days.
[IMG][/IMG]
That's how I smoke salmon. PM me if you want all the real secrets I use.
Rebel #52
My Friends call me "Randy" , the rebels can as well as I consider them to be above acquaintance status!
Proudly stolen from Eric W "My strength is the strength of ten for my heart is pure"
Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM
REBEL

143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP
143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP143777 Offical PLP

That looks awesome Randy. Making my mouth drool.

Steve
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 PM
SENILE MEMBER

Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP

Fawk not ready til next year!
Rebel #52
My Friends call me "Randy" , the rebels can as well as I consider them to be above acquaintance status!
Proudly stolen from Eric W "My strength is the strength of ten for my heart is pure"
Old 01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
SENILE MEMBER

Wow turned out incredible. Little bit more moisture but after a couple days hanging it'll be perfect. I'm finding the simplest methods of smoking and easiest brine is the answer. I used to do wet and all kind of extra stuff (Maple syrup, herbs, garlic, etc) now I just sprinklr coarse salt on fillets and the spoon some demerara sugar on let sit for a day (draws out lots of moisture and turns sugar to liquid). Then wash off fillets, punch hole for string to hang with and once drip dried, smoke er up! Cold smoke is the answer, going to do a 2 day smoke brisket finishing on the BBQ for warmth. Maybe smoke a few pork bellies, I got a few bags of alder sawdust and that makes crazy good bacon smoke. Got 20 fillets of sockeye smoked now, should be able to ration it til next winter.
Rebel #52
Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM
SENILE MEMBER

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Yep, whole place smells like hickory smoke now!
Rebel #52
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ