Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > PRODUCT REVIEWS

PRODUCT REVIEWS GOT A NEW PRODUCT? LET US KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT

Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Cool Everything about the Crossover Tekvest

Been abusing Tekrider's latest creation, the "Crossover" vest, for almost a year now. Overall I've been impressed and really like the vest.

The vest is geared towards mountain/backcountry snowmobilers and adventure/enduro/dualsport dirt riders.
It offers a ton of ventilation, is cut taller for protection while standing up on the machine, and is designed for comfort when wearing a backpack.
For those of you who wear neck braces, this vest is compatible with them.

Fit and finish is what you'd expect from Tekrider - Their gear's expensive because it's worth it. You won't be disappointed.

If you race or plan on racing snowmobiles, look at one of their other vests. This vest is part of their "3D" lineup - these omit the armor in the back in favor of airflow. These vests are NOT approved for snowmobile racing in most organizations, even with the shoulder pads. Take a look at their other vests in the "4D" category if you want/need that protection.
In most backcountry/offroad situations, a pack is going to do just as well for protection as the armor will.

*A note about sizing: Err on the smaller side, their vests run big for the size.
I'm 6ft/180lb, XL tshirts, Large jackets/jerseys, and the Medium vest fits me perfect. That said, I do prefer my gear a bit on the snug side. But if you're inbetween sizes, go for the smaller one.

Standard Tekrider packaging, vest arrives folded up like a pretzel.

Unpackaged. Note the ventilation holes in the chest plate.
Protip: Snug up all the straps and let the vest "uncurl" for an hour or two, then wear it around the house for an hour to soften up the plastic. It'll form up to your body a lot better after that.

Left shoulder is detachable from the body of the vest for neck braces.
Buckle for side-entry is on the left; the right side is just an adjustment strap for sizing. It'd be a little easier to get into/out of the vest if that buckle were on the right side.

On the backside, the upper "triangle" between the spine plate and shoulders is just mesh. The spine plate is a 1/8" sheet of UHMW to support the shape of the vest.

Two strips of foam on either side of the spine plate raise that plate off your back for additional airflow. They do a good job of keeping a pack off your back without being uncomfortable.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 11-12-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Default Compared to other vests

There's a lot of design elements this vest shares with their other products.
The other vests I've had a lot of time in, for comparison:

Freestyle. This is sort of their "flagship" product for mountain riders. Klim and Skidoo both have branded versions of this vest, it's probably the most common Tekvest to find in the mountains. Fairly well ventilated, lightweight, comfortable, and affordable.
Shown here with the optional shoulder pads, which makes it race-legal.

And the SX Pro-Lite, "Race vest".
Out-of-the-box, this vest meets all racing specs (Chest/shoulder/arm protection and 144-orange coverage). It offers an "extreme" level of protection, and is the warmest of all the vests out there. Shoulder pads are permanently attached to this vest. IMO it's more comfortable to wear all day than the Freestyle is.

Chest/Front protection of the Crossover is on par with my race vest. Solid front panel without a gap in armor like the Freestyle has under the zipper.
You can see how the Crossover's cut taller than either other vest here.

On the back, the Crossover and race vest both offer some tailbone protection. Freestyle's lighter and doesn't extend down as far. In some situations the Freestyle will hang up on the back of my pants, where the race vest and Crossover extend down far enough they don't do that.
The crossover has far more ventilation on the back than the Freestyle does.
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 11-12-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 AM

Default In the Snow

If you're looking for a lightweight/breatheable vest with good chest protection and don't currently wear a vest, the Crossover's certainly a good option.

As I mentioned earlier, if you race, you probably already have another vest that meets the requirements for your discipline. If you're considering racing, get one of those vests that meets the protection requirements for the circuit you're planning on racing in, as the Crossover cannot be made race-legal.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of snowmobiling in this vest.
The few times I wore it, it almost moved too much air, doesn't hold heat in well... so you have to layer accordingly. If you don't wear a vest right now, this might work in your favor.
I wear my race vest over a jersey and under a jacket or pullover, and in all but the coldest days I'm comfortable. Warmer days I ditch the jacket/pullover and wear the vest as my outer layer.
With the Crossover, I need another layer to keep the heat in.

I did wear the Crossover vest almost exclusively when I was shooting photos on the track this year - Jackson hillclimbs was a little warm for a jacket, but not quite warm enough for just a jersey/tshirt. The Crossover was enough of a layer to keep the cold off me and keep me comfortable through the day, while giving me the protection required (like when I almost got run over by a snowbike). It's not race-legal, but it's enough to satisfy event staff on the track.

Give me a break... I spend all my time behind the lens (for good reason).
I've never looked forward to sitting in a truck for 14 hours as much as I did coming home from Jackson this year.

Comfortable and doesn't restrict movement.
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 11-12-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:19 AM

Thumbs up In the Dirt

Dirt is where this vest really shines. With protection like my race vest and more airflow than the Freestyle, it's definitely a winner. I haven't worn my Freestyle since I got this vest.

Quick note on the shoulder pads... I originally bought these with my Freestyle. The attachment points is common between all their vests that don't include them - Freestyle, Crossover, Outback, and Supersport. Sizes are probably compatible 1 from the vest too.
I do recommend them - real nice for deflecting tree branches. They're easy to get on/off, so it gives you that option.

On the Freestyle:

and on the Crossover:

If you're looking for one chest protector that pulls double-duty in both summer and winter, go for the Crossover Tekvest.
It fits well.
It stays cool.
It will protect you in a crash.
It's comfortable with a pack on for all-day riding.
What more can you really ask for?

I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I also took advantage of the group buy/discount on the Crossover Vest. At 245lb 6'1" the 2XL is a bit big on me (Im Fluffy). I usually wear a light tee & sweater under it, then its fine. Vented very well too. I dont have much to compare it with being my first & only vest Ive had. Must say I am impressed. Ive ridden mostly dirt with it, & it is comfortable. I wear my pack with it as well, & still have great movement with it, which is big for me. I also use it to ride my streetbike to work in the morning with a hoodie type light jacket over top. Barely tell its there at all. Overall, I really like it. Great product Tekvest!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > REBELS WITH A WRENCH > PRODUCT REVIEWS

Tags
body armor, chest protector, crossover, tekrider, tekvest