Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES

Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 PM

00jered is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tek Vest reviews

Hi everyone. I am looking to get some sort of chest protection and would like to hear everyone's opinion of what's available. The tek vests seem awesome but high priced. Are there other options out there that are good? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

IMO they're priced high because they're worth it.

In short, they're the most comfortable and best chest protection out there right now.

We'll start with the Freestyle....
+ Cheapest of what they offer.
+ Removable/optional shoulder pads.
- Shoulder pads are extra $$, required equipment for racing.
+ Lightest, coolest vest out there.
- Gap in armor where the zipper is.
- Doesn't meet orange req's for ISR/ISOC, if racing's your thing.

I wore the Freestyle for a few years snowmobiling. Bent enough bars with my chest that I wanted a little more chest protection. Now I keep the Freestyle for moto use. Does great.

Fits a beacon well too.

The armor in it is 1/8" UHMW sandwitched between two 1/8" sheets of closed-cell foam. Doesn't sound like much, but I've crash-tested it numerous times in both dirt and snow and it's held up very well. It works.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Their sizes run small. I'm 6ft/180, usually wear XL tshirts, Lg jackets, and the Medium tekvest fits me perfect. Try one on if you can, but if you have to order one and aren't sure of your size, err on the smaller side.

Next ... the race vests.

+ MUCH better chest protection.
- MUCH more expensive.
+ More comfortable than the Freestyle IMO.
+ (or -) Shoulder pads are permanently attached.
+ Meets ALL racing requirements: Body coverage, shoulder pads, orange area.

The newest style has a velcro tab at the shoulders to work with neck braces. This is the slightly-older-style. The interior armor is the same as the Freestyle, but this vest offers an additional 1/8" of UHMW on the front and back. The interior armor is one solid piece, so it can be pretty uncomfortable if it's cold before it warms up and forms to your body.

Shoulder pads are included, and permanently attached to this vest. I like them, great for deflecting branches as you're riding, and shoulders are usually where you land in an off.

This vest is warm. There's no way I could wear it on the bike in the summer. In the winter it's a lot less of an issue, and helps with keeping warm.

You can find them used for about what the Freestyle runs new. Watch towards the end of the season when the sno-x guys start dumping all their gear.

Matches my bike.

Again.... expensive because they work.

The older-style race vest (big orange blob on the front, pic below) is pretty uncomfortable. They're designed to provide protection during races, and that's about it. Not really intended for all-day comfort.

In terms of protection they're better than the freestyle since they have a solid front and back plate, but if it's not comfortable you're not going to wear it, and if you're not wearing it, it won't do you any good when you need it.

I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 09-28-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 PM

As far as what else is out there... EVS makes a trail model (SV1) similar to the Trail Pro Tekvest, and a race vest (SV1R) that's like my race vest. Haven't really gotten up-close and personal with one of those and haven't heard much about them, but Motorfist rebrands the SV1. Try one on at the snow show.

Some guys wear MX chest protectors (the cheap plastic stuff). If they work for you, great... I wore one for a while on the bike, and while it worked, they're pretty uncomfortable (especially compared to a tekvest).

You can try the MX impact rigs, but to be honest, I find them horribly uncomfortable. Bought one and wore it about 5 minutes before I turned around and pulled on my plastic roost guard instead. (This was on the bike not long after I bought it, still looking for a good gear setup for that.)

Bullriding vests ... they've even gotten into the MX arena ... Nice, very comfortable, but lack coverage that the tekvest offers. No shoulder protection with those. They're also cut a little different for rodeo vs. powersports. I rode buckin bulls in college...

I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

They are comfortable and they work. I feel naked without one on anymore. I won't ride without mine.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM

00jered is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is the best place to purchase a tek vest

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00jered View Post
Where is the best place to purchase a tek vest
Look on ebay, you'll find them there for cheap if you don't mind buying something used. Every now and then they pop up on craigslist.

Dealers and powersports outlets carry them too.

Got my Freestyle+shoulders from these guys years ago, about the best prices I've found new outside of ebay's stores:
https://www.xtremesledparts.com/products/tekvest

SnowBigDeal.com is a BCR sponsor and they carry the Klim vest (freestyle + Klim price tag and colors).

Trax2Treads is another BCR sponsor...
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 AM
" Boo's Life Coach Student "

Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP
Rob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLPRob1334 Offical PLP

I bought mine new on eBay out of NY some where, not sure if he still sells on eBay but I think I got mine for like $160 for the one like Mule uses. Once you get use to wearing one you will feel naked without it.

Roughrider Snowmobile Club
Old 10-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Just Got Here

FanaticalKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

The klim tekvest works great, saved buddies chest when he stumped his pro a couple years ago. Great protection.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > GPS / SAFETY / COMMUNICATION DEVICES