Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION

Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM
REBEL

ArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLP
ArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLPArcticBoy Offical PLP
Default Real mileage with a 2013 Duramax??

Im considering a new 3500 dually again and was wondering what people are getting everyday with the new duramax burning cow pee? Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM
REBEL

Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Blu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from ARBlu Du Has earned a rub and tug from AR

you might see 19 mpg at best with a dually and if you really try hard you can see 7.5 mpg but on average 14 in the winter and 16 in the summer. I bought a 3500 srw so I could get the 3.73 gears
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 PM
REBEL

tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from ARtmk50 Has earned a rub and tug from AR

2011 dmax cc sb. Got just over 19 on my way home today from Wyoming. Towing is anywhere from 12 to 14 depending on wind.

No issues lately with urea. Had early problems with def quality light coming on. 25k miles on it now.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

running an 11 ford with the cow pizz, and the pizz is a non issue for the most part. the only problem is the light always comes on at the start of a long road trip.
2.5 gal at walmart for 14 bucks and i only have to add it once between oil changes. have the oil shop fill it on the change day.
just perspective the 6.7 gets 18-20 on the freeway and 14-15 in town, trailer time runs 11-14 just depends load with stop and go.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM
REBEL

hilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from AR
hilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from ARhilinerider Has earned a rub and tug from AR

ran a 12 gmc and 12 f350 to revy 8 hr drive identical trailers and 5 sleds in each
dmax got 12
f350 got 10.5 total over trip
switched back and forth leading and drove speed limits
identical amnts of def for most part
both srw 4dr lng box's

how special is that!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
REBEL

Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilinerider View Post
ran a 12 gmc and 12 f350 to revy 8 hr drive identical trailers and 5 sleds in each
dmax got 12
f350 got 10.5 total over trip
switched back and forth leading and drove speed limits
identical amnts of def for most part
both srw 4dr lng box's
My cummins gets ~10, maybe a little less in the wind in that same situation, a little bit less than the others .... Interesting how real world mileage these trucks aren't as far apart from each other as some folks would like you to believe. If you believe the internet every Ford or GM truck gets 24 mph and every Dodge gets 8.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Is that a fat guy joke?

REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR
REBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from ARREBEL Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
My cummins gets ~10, maybe a little less in the wind in that same situation, a little bit less than the others .... Interesting how real world mileage these trucks aren't as far apart from each other as some folks would like you to believe. If you believe the internet every Ford or GM truck gets 24 mph and every Dodge gets 8.
Would have been happy if our dodge pulling got 8.. was lucky to get 7... same trailer, same load, same roads, same fuel, same speed limit.. the durry and ford avg. 11ish
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Captain Stick Head

76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP
76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP76FoMoCo Offical PLP

there are a few thing most guys don't put up and tire size is a big one. with the stock tires i pulled 2 more mpg over the 34.5 i have on with the above mileage. so just take this with a grain of salt as said above^
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM
REBEL

Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Dogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from ARDogmeat Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FoMoCo View Post
there are a few thing most guys don't put up and tire size is a big one. with the stock tires i pulled 2 more mpg over the 34.5 i have on with the above mileage. so just take this with a grain of salt as said above^
Lol

I have been running 285/70/70's ... I upgraded to those from the stock 265's at 6k miles. I don't think on a diesel going to a 285 from a 265 would make much difference. I've never got less than 10 towing, and thats pulling everything from a small enclosed to a big enclosed. On a ~2000 mile trip to west yellowstone from Denver last year pulling a fully loaded large enclosed, I got 11.7 .... typically with the same trailer, I average 15.7 to Rabbit Ears and back.

Does it get as good of mileage as the fords and GM's do? No, not quite. Is it as bad as the internet claims it is? No, not quite
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 AM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

Likewise with the internet claims! And so many when they talk about "loaded" mileage are talking an aluminum two place open with two sled. Far cry from a 27' steel enclosed with 4-5 sled gear and fuel.

I just went the other route. I recently bought a Ford F-350 cc lb with the new 6.2 v8 GAS motor. So far I am loving the thing. I'm coming from a 96 F-350 CC LB with the 7.3 powerstroke. It had all the typical mod. Tuner intake exhaust ect . Loved the truck.

My 2011 6.2 has tons more power than the old powerstroke. Not even close.Two weeks ago I made a 600 mile trip through the mountains pulling my trailer which is a 24' square nose car hauler enclosed converted inside as a sled hauler with heat cabinets ect. Weighs in at about 8500 lbs as it was loaded. For 600 mountains miles I averaged 9.1 mpg for the trip. I'm pretty tickled with that. I was pulling hills at 80+ mph that my diesel wouldn't pull over 50 mph. Same trip the 7.3 would have gotten about 11-11.5 mpg. Now with gas being 50 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel here, it was cheaper to run the gas motor than the diesel.

Running around town empty with the 6.2 I've been pulling 14.5-15. The 7.3 was usually 16-18. 20-21 on a pure empty highway run. I've yet to do that with the 6.2 yet. I'm betting on about 16. So a couple of mpg less across the board, but not enough to offset the price in fuel let alone the 9k upfront for the diesel option not to mention the 14 quart oil changes ect ... The power is amazing in the 6.2 gas motor. Mileage doesn't kill you like the v10's did. I couldn't be happier than I am with this rig. I don't miss the noise of the diesel. The stink. Driving round and around at the fuel pumps trying to fuel both the truck and the toys. Not knowing if its gonna start when you leave it sit at a trailhead over a weekend when the temps dip to -40f and colder....

Call me happy with my step back to gas motors.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRUCK DISCUSSION