Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default How to: Delmonico

This is my version of the the Delmonico cut steak using a whole rolled ribeye. I didn't take pics before I started trimming because I wasn't thinking about it so these all start with the some of the back fat that's been peeled.

From the top side, start peeling back the fat...The ribeye has good quality fat and it's easy to peel off. Use a sharp knife and apply pressure to the crevasse where the fat and meat, meet and gently pull the fat away while continuing to apply pressure with the knife.

When you are satisfied with your clean up, we can peel off the cap and tail. Start at the big end and follow the line of connective tissue, that runs the length of the roll. Start peeling it from the larger side. Once you get that peeled off, use your knife to peel off the tail, as we peeled off the back fat. Take your time to keep from scoring the meat or cutting yourself.

Next we want to trim all the fat and sinew off the larger pieces. The tail does have some good meat on it, so you might think about trimming out the meat and saving it for stir fry, beef stew, or grind it if you have a grinder. As I said before, this is a high quality fat and can also be used in a variety of ways. As you can see in the pic there is another smaller piece of meat that came from the front side rib section. I peeled it off because behind it there is a little piece of gristle that I like to have out of there.

Now we can see how it looks all laid out, next step is to put it all back together, make sure you keep in mind the how the pieces sat originally, that's how it will be put back together with the exception of the rib section, I put that on the smaller side of the main loin to maintain the consistency of the size and shape.

The rib section goes on the low spot, and the cap gets placed on top

Time to tie. In order to keep everything together, I make 4 ties along the loin. Then I tie again between the first ties, then again between those.

Now all you gotta do is cut between the lines, make sure not to cut the ties as it will be nearly impossible to get it as tight as it needs to be. The key is the tie the string as tight as you possible can.

Enjoy!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken