Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > NEW MEXICO

Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Just Got Here

NM OHV Education is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Mexico Snowmobiling Program

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marc and I am the OHV education coordinator for the state of New Mexico. Our Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) program staff has been discussing ways to better advertise the sport of snowmobiling in New Mexico and ways to better serve the registered snowmobilers in the the state. I would like to know if there are any trainings or other opportunites that you as snowmobilers would be interested in having. I am an Idaho transplant and have experience riding snowmobiles as well as teaching avalanche and snowmobile operation course. Please share any ideas or concerns you may have. I don't know if any of you all belong to a club or organization with regular meetings, but if you would like to meet with me and the rest of the OHV staff we could works something out as well. We are out of the Albuquerque office. It would also be great to meet up with you guys for some riding to help us learn the country. Hoping for a great snow year and look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

....aaadddddvvverrttiiiiiissseeeee.....

When I think "New Mexico", besides "yeah, like we needed a 'new' one of those", I think golfing, old people in golf carts, desert motorcycle/trials riding (San Ysidro), alien spaceships landing in the desert (Roswell), and the VLA in the desert.

I certainly don't associate NM with snowmobiling. I know that not much further north is Wolf Creek, which is where a lot of people from AZ go to ski since it's relatively close ... Been snowmobiling out there once last year ... but that's CO, not NM.

Get some photos. Make it a destination. Trails? Clubs? Grooming operations? Backcountry riding? Lodging/Fuel? Show off what you have.

Also, welcome.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
REBEL

boondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLP
boondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLPboondocking fool Offical PLP

there are some great spots for sledding here in N.M , there are no clubs here , just a bunch of guys that ride , we usually ride CO. , but transition back and forth over the state line , we would be interested in showing you guys around sometime , would prefer to take you out as a [ friend ] , and show you the area , we all are intersted in learning more about avy's and such so we should hook up and sled sometime.................
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
REBEL

thebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from AR
thebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from ARthebigtreeman Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Let me add this - It would be a good idea to get in tight with the Forest Service. We recently had an issue up near Cumbres Pass where the skiers are making a play to close down some riding areas. This will directly impact New Mexico since we ride back and forth across the state lines. If they close down the area and try to take more area for non motorized use, places like Chama will suffer economically since there will be little reason to use their lodging, restaurants, gas stations, stores, etc. We would be forced to go further North or West to places like Pagosa Springs.
We have worked really hard to be of service to the cross country skiers and our group has rescued numerous people over the years. They are grateful when they need rescuing but snub their noses at us at other times. There seems to be a large disconnect between the two groups and if we can get them talking and cooperating, perhaps we can lessen their desire to ask that areas be shut down to motorized use.

I can tell you that a lot of us are fed up with their superior attitudes especially after they made the play to get some riding areas up here shut down. Ask the locals in Chama (Fina's Diner, High Country, Vista Del Rio, Cumbres Suites, etc) who spends the money when they come to town. I guarantee it isn't the skiers. That's my .02.

As Boondocking Fool said, we'd be happy to show you around the area and work with you to help promote snowmobiling in NM.

Rebel #335

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Just Got Here

NM OHV Education is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the information on the Cumbre Pass issues. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I want you all to know that I understand the sanctity of a snowmobilers play area, so I do not intend to bring people in mass to any areas you decide to show the OHV program. Instead I want to know about things like the access issue you have shared, what we can do to improve or provide things like parking lots, signing, and access through or grants program.

I am very interested in your education needs regarding avalanche safety or safety training for any youth operators that may join you guys on rides. Look forward to catching up with you in the field soon, we are getting our snowmobiles serviced and ready for operation next week!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM

chsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from ARchsdaddy Has earned a rub and tug from AR

http://www.backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=20995

We had Mike Duffy come give us a basic avy class this past season in the spring and I thought it was very useful. We had a pretty good turnout, and it may be something you might want to look into for the ABQ area. We did it in Chama.

He also does a practical on snow course that I would be interested in supporting since it's hands on and really focuses on reading terrain, how to perform searches etc.

X2 on the cross country BS, I hate to suggest trying to be inclusive in backcountry safety but maybe something open to everyone may help. You never know who you are going to run into in the backcountry when you need help.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
REBEL

Ghostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Ghostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from ARGhostrider DD Has earned a rub and tug from AR

You guys ever hear of letting the fox into the henhouse??
02 Polaris 800 RMK 156

08 Polaris 800 RZR
04 Polaris 600 Sportsman
Member of NM Wildbunch!!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > NEW MEXICO