Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Which I find strange. I built the controller for the dualsport kit on my bike, there's like $40 in the entire electrical system on it including cable. 555 timer and a transistor for the turn signals.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM
local arm chair lawyer

Good to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Good to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Which I find strange. I built the controller for the dualsport kit on my bike, there's like $40 in the entire electrical system on it including cable. 555 timer and a transistor for the turn signals.
You know me Mule... I have enough understanding to know I can't reproduce the things.

The things just create a phantom load; clearly not worth 60... but that's what they get 'cause there aren't any other options out there for the dumb layman. They sell and unGodly amount of them to muni's, counties, etc...where price doesn't matter but they got to have the LED's...

I see a business opportunity for you...

Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the liberals believe every day is April 15... and you think I jest.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Well, ther'es the resistors that just suck down current so a regular relay works ...
...which totally negates the purpose of putting LEDs on (energy efficiency).

I don't have a lot of capacity on the bike, so I try to save it where I can... indicators are a quick and easy one.
Replacing a 5-watt bulb with a 1/2-watt LED, then putting a resistor on there to draw another 5 watts just so the turn signal flasher works right ... might as well just leave the bulbs in there.

Other problem on the dirt bike .... the abuse the mechanical relay takes when I'm bouncing off rocks and trees in the forest. I think the mechanical turn signal flasher lasted about a month. Solid state = no moving parts = no damage from shock/vibration. That kit's going on 2 or 3 years now without an issue.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM
local arm chair lawyer

Good to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Good to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from ARGood to Go Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Agree on the energy use issues.. Typical truck/trailer with lots of lights (like our Pete), the LED's eliminate a huge amount of wiring/load problems. A lot of us on the smaller trucks (utility boxes, flatbeds, etc) went to LED's because they are brighter, last longer and our more durable. But, the systems weren't set up for them, hence the fast flash. On your bike, it makes perfect sense. Solid state for sure.

I know guys that want the LED look, but go the cheap route and have wired in a bulb in line, covered with blk tape to take the load. A 2 buck solution...hokey for sure, but it works for awhile.

There's got to be a cheaper alternative (resistor package, something in line) than 120 dollars per two lights...

Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the liberals believe every day is April 15... and you think I jest.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 AM
REBEL

Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP
Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP

Maybe those loads have to be certified or something.

It's amazing what parts people get hit for. Manager of a Caterpillar rebuild shop handed me a part, and asks if I know what it is. Sure, it's a 20 or 25 Amp full wave rectifier, 10 bucks. He's like, they want 110 bucks and 6 weeks lead time. I think radioshack even carries the part. But since it was a Cat part, he had to pay and wait.

I just hate connectors, because they hide the part number from you, or ford has an exclusive connector.

LEDs are nice, they can really cut down on the size of the wires. And, you can run a single power wire, and then control the flasher with a network (CAN) and a 30 cent microcontroller. And, if your flashers are used in different countries, you can change the timing of all the lights to meet local laws, with just a laptop and a cable. No stocking a relay for every country.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
REBEL

John Has earned a rub and tug from ARJohn Has earned a rub and tug from AR
John Has earned a rub and tug from ARJohn Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Did you try Henderson in Garden City? There's another place over by ITT on Royal...think it's called Paulson-Brant or something like that. I've never struck out there for any truck wiring/lighting.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > TRAILERS / SLED DECK DISCUSSION