Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > REC TRAILERS / TOY HAULERS / MOTOR HOMES

Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM
REBEL

Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Looking at getting a trailer...

Okay I'm considering getting a trailer for hauling toys around. I'd probably use it as storage as well, and I'd have it parked in my backyard when not in use.

I won't be hauling as much as some people here do as I live close enough to sled riding areas that I can just ride my sled straight from my house except when it starts getting bad around town in the spring. I was looking at getting a trailer that can haul sleds, quads, motorcycles and maybe even a car once I get back into looking at getting a car again.

My truck is rated for 11,000lbs (Dodge 2500 gas, 4x4 with 4.56 gears), but for how much I'm going to haul (today) is it worth it to buy now and use it as I need it or should I wait until I really need it (could be a few years)? I started looking because me and a buddy of mine are taking our bikes to a track day this summer. It's not too bad for him because he lives within 200 miles of the track, however I live over 800 miles away.

Just looking for reasons why I should or shouldn't get a trailer, and seems I've never owned one I don't know if there are problems/benefits of having/not having it when it probably won't be hauling more then 2 or 3 times a year with my current situation. Just a couple weeks ago it would have been helpful, 4 guys, 2 trucks, 2 quads each just to go mudding, instead of a 20+ foot trailer, 4 guys 4 quads, 1 truck.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Assuming you're looking for an enclosed...

They're nice to have, for sure. A little more garage space, nice to have the option to take more than one sled, and for a place out of the wind/snow/rain to change in.

Your truck will do just fine with a 2-place. It'll probably do well with a 4-place too. My half-ton can get it done, but my next truck will be a 3/4-ton for the braking capacity.

Having a trailer doesn't mean you have to take the trailer. I still have the ramp I can load my sled/bike in the truck with.

Look around and wait for a good deal if you don't need one now. Keep your eyes on craigslist, local ads, etc. Get a feel for the price and what's out there, snag one when the right deal comes up.

With regards to the car... how often would you be pulling it somewhere? Rent a tow dolly from u-haul if you only need it once or twice a year.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
REBEL

Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Corins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from ARCorins Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Main mention about the car was because we have unpaved roads leaving here, so a nice car won't be driven until the end of the gravel road. I just got rid of my last car to get the new 3/4 truck, I figure within 5 years I'll probably looking at another sports car.

We have the option of having vehicles shipped by rail to avoid the gravel roads, however a guy that works with the same company as me sent his BMW M3 down by rail and it ended up with the axles bent.

Also yes, I am looking at enclosed and have been looking at the 20' range.

Last edited by Corins; 05-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > SUMMER RECREATION > AUTOMOTIVE > REC TRAILERS / TOY HAULERS / MOTOR HOMES