Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM
REBEL

PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR
PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Thumbs up Smokin rub recipes, brine recipes and tips please

I just started smoking meats and have been looking for some epic ideas, recipes and tips. If you have any, please PM me for my email and I will be happy to take any advice and tips to learn. Just thought some great smoked bird, pork or beef would be awesome after a epic day's ride.

Thanks,
PJ

JR: "By the time I got to Omaha to pick up my new sled, I was so tired I thought the Care Bears were my co-pilots."
Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 AM
REBEL

yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

www.thesmokering.com is going to have more than you care to read on smoking....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
REBEL

PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR
PJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from ARPJ-Hunter Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Cool. Thanks

JR: "By the time I got to Omaha to pick up my new sled, I was so tired I thought the Care Bears were my co-pilots."
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 AM
"Installing in the Dirty Pic Thread"

-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP
-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP-Z- Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammadog View Post
www.thesmokering.com is going to have more than you care to read on smoking....
do you brine any of your bbq

typically i brine my poultry

There is my appology.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ-Hunter View Post
I just started smoking meats and have been looking for some epic ideas, recipes and tips. Thanks,..........................
PJ
Kinda hard to keep the meat lit isn't it? LOL Sorry.. cheap pun.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM
REBEL

yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
do you brine any of your bbq

typically i brine my poultry
No.....long slow smoke with low temps. If I did fish then a brine would be involved, but not on my main stuff. I've thought about doing more marinades, but lately I've been too busy with gigs to test/tune some new stuff. The closest I come to marinade is on large cooks, I'll rub my stuff down the night before on an early start for brisket/pork shoulders, otherwise it'd be too early to rise for me...

If you use a traeger or gas assist, the brine will surely help expand your flavors vs. an all wood offset smoker. I half my chickens and then 3-4 hours later it's time. A little tip I learned and it really works. on skinned chickent, like thighs or whatever, put a little flour on the skin and it will crisp it up ina smoker making it like it was grilled..
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
REBEL

I just did a large pork shoulder and I did brine it. I then added a rub the night before and left it in the fridge. Started smoking at 5am Sunday and checked temps/added water and chips if needed every hour. We ate 12 hours later and was on the edge of being a little dry. I could have gotten away with eating at 4pm. The wife and kids loved it.

Lessons learned: Check meat temps more often to avoid over cooking.

My next attempt will be some salmon filets, ribs and a whole chicken. I was told to add a beer can inside the chicken.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM
REBEL

I smoke my shoulders for 6hours and then wrap them up in foil for another 1.5 hours. then let it relax for another hour sitting in a cooler wrapped in a towel. I'll also pull it after 6 hours and put in in my oven at 425 for an hour in a pan covered tight in foil. Let it sit for another 30 minutes and then pull it, which is usually, break it apart, let it cool some and then work it over, pulling the fat and whatever else you don't want to eat out of it.

Ribs, I go for 6 hours and when I lift one end up with my tongs, the other end should droop...should be just right, depending on your cut.

I've done whole chickens, even with the can...I think it works best to cut them in half and lay the insides down...
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ