Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default How To: Beef Culotte/Sirloin Strip Steak

First off the culotte muscle is found wrapped around the top butt sirloin, it is relatively easy to seam out and makes for a steak thats comparable to filet mignon and is also said to be the original cut designated for the 'Del Monico' steak

I dry aged this for 14 days at about 65% humidity, and will marinate another 24 hours. Dry aging is a process that takes a whole primal and set in open air in a refrigerated area. This enables the natural enzymes break down the connective tissue and makes it more tender ( not that this perticular cut needs it).

First i trim off the back fat. If it is aged, the fat will be very firm and easy to peel it away from the meat with a sharp straight edge knife. In this photo you can see the darker coloration of the fat and the red meat that it is protecting.

Here is a pic with all the fat trimmed off....yum

On the other side there is the connective tissue that attaches this muscle to the actual sirloin butt...its thin and just needs filleted off

Now cutting the steaks, I like to butterfly them for larger servings, out of a culotte you only get 3 steaks 2 regular size steaks and one smaller one. Always cut from the fat side down...so we will say that the first pic with the all of the back fat would be the top.

Then for a marinade i took a bunch of crap and threw it together

Nix the lemon juice, i decided the acidity would be too much when paired with the red wine

-Doc
Old 11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Prospect

Pinner Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Pinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from ARPinner Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Well there's an idea, butterflying steaks. I'l have to try that on a Flat Iron cut or that top piece from a Top Sirloin. More surface area for flavor.

I've found I like Montreal Steak Spice the best for flavor. I use it to make a thin paste with olive oil and it is really tasty and easy. The olive oil helps on the grill too. It's great way to pan fry as well, pork chops done this way are awesome.

When I could buy dry aged meat, I had to ask for it, not something the butcher put in the case. Most people don't like the "look" of it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR

butterflying the flat iron seems to make it too thin for my liking. i butterflied one the put some jalapenos, provolone and proscuitto with fresh basil leaves in it and folded it back over....turned out pretty damn good. I butterflied from end to end and not side to side to make it longer as opposed to wider
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Beef, Pork, and Chicken