Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Seafood

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM
SENILE MEMBER

Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Grizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLPGrizzz Offical PLP
Default Smoked salmon (grizzz method)

1st to properly smoke salmon a brine and a cold smoker are needed.
2nd species of salmon vary the smoking & brining time.
3rd temperature is the most important thing in both the brining & smoking phases

Fillet salmon & cut each fillet into 4 pieces. (remove the pin bones ya lazy bugger)
I brine for 16- 24 hours depending on the size & freshness of the salmon
Brine 4 gallons of water, 6 cups coarse pickling salt, a lil splash of simple syrop (sugar).
Brine must be cold around 35- 40 degrees max temp (or ya get to meet Mrs. Salmonella)
frozen fish is actually better then fresh as the freezing breaks down the fish a bit and allows better smoke penetration. 30 days in freezer is enuf.
remove fish from brine and rinse with cold running water for 15 mins or until ya can eat it without tasting the salt. (sushi)
then I coat the fish with a mixture of soy sauce 20%, molesasses 80% & rub coarse ground pepper into the fish.
Cold smoke is best (max 100 degrees) for 16- 24 hours depending on the thickness of the fish.
If a hot smoker is all ya got you should only need 6 hours or ur fish'll resemble jerky.
I then vac pack and freeze. Good fer at least a year.
I use 75% hickory & 25% alder fer smoke.
Vodka & scotch are the preffered intoxocants while smoking. A good cuban cigar is also helpful.
Rebel #52
My Friends call me "Randy" , the rebels can as well as I consider them to be above acquaintance status!
Proudly stolen from Eric W "My strength is the strength of ten for my heart is pure"
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
"I come in peace"

BigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLP
BigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLPBigTruck Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
1st to properly smoke salmon a brine and a cold smoker are needed.
2nd species of salmon vary the smoking & brining time.
3rd temperature is the most important thing in both the brining & smoking phases

Fillet salmon & cut each fillet into 4 pieces. (remove the pin bones ya lazy bugger)
I brine for 16- 24 hours depending on the size & freshness of the salmon
Brine 4 gallons of water, 6 cups coarse pickling salt, a lil splash of simple syrop (sugar).
Brine must be cold around 35- 40 degrees max temp (or ya get to meet Mrs. Salmonella)
frozen fish is actually better then fresh as the freezing breaks down the fish a bit and allows better smoke penetration. 30 days in freezer is enuf.
remove fish from brine and rinse with cold running water for 15 mins or until ya can eat it without tasting the salt. (sushi)
then I coat the fish with a mixture of soy sauce 20%, molesasses 80% & rub coarse ground pepper into the fish.
Cold smoke is best (max 100 degrees) for 16- 24 hours depending on the thickness of the fish.
If a hot smoker is all ya got you should only need 6 hours or ur fish'll resemble jerky.
I then vac pack and freeze. Good fer at least a year.
I use 75% hickory & 25% alder fer smoke.
Vodka & scotch are the preffered intoxocants while smoking. A good cuban cigar is also helpful.
Damn!! Thats a lot of work. I usually just put mine in a zig zag and puff away!
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Seafood