Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Spices and Rubs

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Walkin' tall machine gun man

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default Do you make your own seasonings?

years ago I started 'making my own seasonings', by this i would just take a bunch of other seasonings and mix them together. Well after doing more research I realized while mixing a bunch of seasonings was good and tasty and sometimes flat out freaking amazing on pork loins and what not, it wasnt really making my own seasoning blend.

While being holed up in the winter and having nothing to cook with but a convection oven and flat stove top (of course I cant leave out the pizza oven and microwave) I started actually starting making my own seasonings. So far I have 4 different recipes that have come out amazing. And believe it or not the base of all my seasonings is paprika.

When i get a chance i'll look for my notebook and throw down a few spice rubs
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Sick and Twisted

tumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Have you tried smoked paprika? Way better than the regular IMO.

Most of the rubs I make come out different every time. I generally don't measure. Chipotle is another I like...its strong though.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Doc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from ARDoc Has earned a rub and tug from AR

nope there is a little place out here I can get hungarian paprika....pretty hot stuff....however i use a lot of smoked sea salt
Old 05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
REBEL

yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

We've been moving more to making our own rub and sauce, but I like to have my stuff shipped in from the KC places. KC Rib DR. is my fav for ribs. and I'm becoming a great fan of Fiorela's rubs. And always Gates for just about anything. I'm more of a fan of letting the wood make the flavor of my bbq...and then slow smoke.....

I was recently on a trip to the columbus, ga area and did a bbq round to sample that regions stuff and have yet to figure out that style, mostly mustard based sauce overpowering the meat and spices...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 PM

i know brisket is a favorite down there but are there any other cuts they use?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Sick and Twisted

tumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from AR
tumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from ARtumblina Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammadog View Post
We've been moving more to making our own rub and sauce, but I like to have my stuff shipped in from the KC places. KC Rib DR. is my fav for ribs. and I'm becoming a great fan of Fiorela's rubs. And always Gates for just about anything. I'm more of a fan of letting the wood make the flavor of my bbq...and then slow smoke.....

I was recently on a trip to the columbus, ga area and did a bbq round to sample that regions stuff and have yet to figure out that style, mostly mustard based sauce overpowering the meat and spices...

Good to see you here, Yammadoggy aka El Tigre
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
REBEL

yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR
yammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from ARyammadog Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
i know brisket is a favorite down there but are there any other cuts they use?
It's bucket of all of the regular stuff. Because of the location, you get it all. Lot's of pork/rib joints, plenty of beef joints also...one thing they had there I have yet to see other places are burnt ends...basically cubed brisket sides.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM

theres a little bbq place where i grew up that had great burnt ends and rib tips
Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 AM

SnoPimp is an unknown quantity at this point

hands down the two best rubs I have ever had were bought and were Bad Byrons butt rub and Head Country seasoning.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Spices and Rubs