Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > IDAHO

Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 AM
Just Got Here

sjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alaskan rider retiring and looking for better SNOW!

So we (south central Alaska) have had 3 winters with little or no snow in the good riding areas. This year is looking better but we are still way behind where we need to be to adequately cover the rocks and brush. I sold my 2013 Summit last week because I had not been able to ride it since purchase.
I have been looking at the Twin Falls and Idaho Falls areas as possible retirement locations and am wondering what the riding opportunities are in the area. I don't want to have to drive hours to get to the good stuff and I am NOT a trail rider.Any info would be appreciated!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 AM
REBEL

whee Has earned a rub and tug from AR
whee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from ARwhee Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Both places have good riding but because out-of-state move-ins can't seem to stop trying to turn ID into the state they came from I'm not sure I can offer any other useful info. Guess I can add one thing, the snake river plain is WINDY. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to protect my home from the people that keep moving in and brining their political baggage with them. But, you may be one of the good guys that we'd like to share our home with...

Hers - 06 M7 800 BB...at lest that's what the salesman told me. It's actually a bone stock 700.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM
REBEL

Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP
Snowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLPSnowizard Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whee View Post
Both places have good riding but because out-of-state move-ins can't seem to stop trying to turn ID into the state they came from I'm not sure I can offer any other useful info. Guess I can add one thing, the snake river plain is WINDY. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to protect my home from the people that keep moving in and brining their political baggage with them. But, you may be one of the good guys that we'd like to share our home with...
Gosh, that sounds like the nicer rural, snowmobiling areas of MN. Out of staters , or "city-its" from the MSP metro buy up big chunks of land, some with trails, and refuse to renew trail leases. Starting to see too much trail relocation in ditches (we attempt to groom those portions) , no other alternative, other than closure.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM
REBEL

Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP
Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP

You might want to look at a topo map. Those places are kinda flat. You are looking at more than a hour to go snowmobiling. If you can handle closed roads and snow, you might want to try somewhere a little bit more "into the mountains". McCall comes to mind. Stanley if you don't care how cold it gets. Idaho City area if you aren't rich but good people. We get bad snow years here also. The good riding starts at 5,000' some years and 7,000' most years around here.

Last edited by Wade; 01-16-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Just Got Here

Thanks for the info Whee, I hear some concerns in your reply. I too, am tired of people bringing their "baggage" to our state. In our case they come here for the "free" money give away and all the government handouts. The PFD has in my opinion, contributed to the decline of my home state of 52 years. As you may have guessed, poor snow is not the only reason I am considering leaving. I am looking for someplace that people take responsibility for their actions, treat the land and each other with respect and offers the opportunity to get outside and enjoy the PUBLIC wilderness and trails.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Just Got Here

Good info Wade. I think you may be right in that closer to the hills would fit us better. As for the cold..it is -18 at my house this morning and I could honestly do without the frozen nose hairs...lol
Old 01-19-2017, 08:08 PM
REBEL

Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP
Wade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLPWade Offical PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Good info Wade. I think you may be right in that closer to the hills would fit us better. As for the cold..it is -18 at my house this morning and I could honestly do without the frozen nose hairs...lol
Places like Fairfield and Stanley and Chalis regularly hit -18F, even a lot lower. They had -55F for a week on time, in Chalis.

I'd like to live in McCall, New Meadows, Cambridge, Cascade, Garden Valley/Crouch, Pine/Featherville. I hear there's some great places to live near Idaho Falls, you might want to visit the area before you plant roots.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Just Got Here

We do plan to visit several areas before we decide to move. We will likely drag a 5th wheel around behind my Cummins for a year or so before we make the leap, but it is never too soon too start gathering info. about potential new homes. I appreciate the reply Wade. I see you sig shows the Snowmo Assoc.. I would probably join up if we land there to get connected. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Prospect

wwracer Has earned a rub and tug from ARwwracer Has earned a rub and tug from ARwwracer Has earned a rub and tug from ARwwracer Has earned a rub and tug from ARwwracer Has earned a rub and tug from ARwwracer Has earned a rub and tug from AR

I moved from the Willow area to Island Park in 2014. The area is similar to South Central AK. , the snow is lighter, at least early in the season, I haven't seen a bad winter yet and the cost of living is much lower. Also unlike AK you can leave your stuff out overnight without it getting jacked, and the property taxes are way more reasonable. I picked I.P. because I dont have to work, reasonably priced housing is available, plus I can ride out of my garage. I would think the next best option would be Rexburg, a real quaint good sized, safe city about an hour south of I.P.
Like the other guy said not much tolerance for libs here, hopefully your old school Anchorage (I grew up there), and own too many guns, if so you'll fit right in with the rest of us rednecks

Last edited by wwracer; 02-22-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > IDAHO