Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > UTAH

Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
Default "FREE" camping in Moab

Im planning a camping trip to Moab end of March. Been there before but stayed at Arrowhead campground (kinda sucked) & others Im considering are Canyonlands & Moab Valley for full hookup. I was thinking of free camping on the outskirts, found a place off a dirt road just before Arrowhead campground that people were just set up out of nowhere. Any suggestions on better spots or locations I could set up for a 3 nights stay? I found the RV grounds are roughly $200 for the 3 night stay, & closer to town, but Id prefer out & away from all that mess, & closer to the trail system out there. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM
REBEL

sledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from AR
sledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Are u looking for full hookups or just parking and call in it good? What are u doing out there? Bikes, side by sides, crawlers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Chronic Basketcase

numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR
numbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from ARnumbnuts Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Probably just open camping, for a 5th wheel, unless we find a decent RV park with full hookups but they are like $200 for 3 nights (I may buy a generator instead). We ride dirtbikes, & ATV's. Got a few small kids with us on little machines. I usually scout ahead & wait for them to catch up, or stop at technical sections to help.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM
REBEL

sledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from AR
sledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from ARsledfreakco Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Well there is always free camping at Area BFE. It is an offroad park south of town woth trails within the park. I also see alot of people camping out in the sand dunes south of town which I believe is free as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM
REBEL

M8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from ARM8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from AR
M8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from ARM8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from ARM8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from ARM8BRAAAAP Has earned a rub and tug from AR

Kane Springs campground.just out of town, on the river, close to lots of trails.cheap too.like $15 a night i think.no full hookups but they have restrooms.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Chronic Basketcase

I called Canyonlands Park over the weekend, & finally (3 days later) they returned my call stating they were booked. Looks like Ill be looking for a spot on the outskirts to set up in the open area. Generator shopping now.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:39 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Check out the Generac iQ units. About half the cost of the Hondamahas, and supposedly a little quieter too.

I've been happy with my iX2000.

Know a local Ace Hardware rents out iX2000's.
I never use mine in the summer if you want to give it a shot.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Chronic Basketcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Check out the Generac iQ units. About half the cost of the Hondamahas, and supposedly a little quieter too.

I've been happy with my iX2000.

Know a local Ace Hardware rents out iX2000's.
I never use mine in the summer if you want to give it a shot.
Costco sells them I think. Kinda trying to talk the wife into letting me buy one big enough to power a few things around the house, if we lose power. Harbor Freight has 2 Im looking at now. I have some time.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM
"bcr forum security services"

Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

I wouldn't go with a HFT unit... build quality just isn't there.

Open-frame "construction site" generators run at a constant 3600rpm ... They usually have higher power output since there isn't much between the stator and plug, but the power they produce is real noisy and fluctuates a lot as load is applied and removed from it.
They're also loud and not very fuel-efficient, since they have to hold 3600rpm regardless of whether it's running a drill or an air compressor.

Inverter models are more expensive, but quieter and more fuel-efficient. They don't have the power output because of the power electronics involved, but the power they do provide is a lot cleaner.
Electrically they're not as efficient because of all the conversions that happen, but because the engine can throttle back based on demand, you get a lot more runtime per gallon of fuel.

As a backup gen around the ranch/house, the open-frame gens are fine. Cheaper, less "stuff" to go wrong, but loud and inefficient.
For camping, go with the inverter models. Smaller/lighter/quieter/cleaner.

Either one you go with will still need maintenance ... oil changes, air filters, etc.
Put a dirt bike hour meter on them to track usage.
Some models offer a "tri-fuel carb" option that'll let you switch between nat.gas, propane, and gasoline. I've never used one of these, but they are out there.
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Chronic Basketcase

Had to change my plans & cancel this trip. Ended upbeing the same week they run Jeep Week. Ill pass until its not as busy.Off to Jackson,WY instead.
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE TRENCH > RIDING AREAS - USA > UTAH