Go Back   Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ

Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
Default Dual use Smoker

After having a Camp Chef Smoke Vault for 5-6 yrs now and love everything that comes out of it it is time to try cold smoking. Instead of buying another smoker I got a Bradley smoke generator and decided to adapt it to the Smoke Vault.

Well Bradley sells a cold smoke adapter but I just like to tinker with shit and built my own setup. Searched the interwebs for a while and came up with this setup....

The table I had sitting in the garage and fit the smoker perfect. So paint it up and make it look pretty. Then off to the local hardware store for some 4" dryer duct and a mailbox. Got the mailbox all trimmed out and adapted to the generator fine and dandy. Trimmed out the Smoke Vault to hook up the 4" chimney elbow. Fired up the generator thinking this was the way to go...... well that failed. For some reason the smoke wouldn't draw up the ducting at all. I put an inline duct fan in and it moved the smoke but was just too fast of speed and was unable to slow it down due to it being an old brushless motor. So back to work I go......

Re-positioned the smoker and generator, and put the outlet on the mailbox on the top of it instead of in the door sideways. This allows the smoke to just pour directly into the Smoke Vault!!!!! Should have done this from the beginning.

The idea of the mailbox is to help dissipate any heat the generator creates. It does make some but not much. But cold smoking is just that.... cold. It works great!!!! The box is warm to the touch but the elbow and duct are cold. Plus the box holds an old bread pan filled with water to catch the ashes and unburned pcs of the smoker pucks.

Did some Cheddar, Colby/Jack, Sharp Cheddar, and some Mexican a week ago and letting it sit in the vac bags for couple weeks to let the smoke settle a bit. Was told it would be way too strong to eat direct from the smoker. So.... hurry up and wait right.......5hrs smoking and it didn't get over 52f.

Can't wait to do salmon and more cheeses in the future. Also jerky should be much better since I won't be "cooking" it while smoking. The way I built the elbow to fit the smoker made it easy to make a swing door to plug the hole off and go back to the normal propane smoker with no tools or special seals and such.

Term limits....
1 in office..... 1 in JAIL!!!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 AM
REBEL

polarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from ARpolarisman Has earned a rub and tug from AR

interesting. I see you mentioned salmon and jerky to cold smoke?
how does the jerky meat get properly cooked for consumption? Salmon?
or do you then process it in your smoker?
My neighbor and I did approx. 100 #'s of venison jerky in 4 Cabela (brand)
smokers in 2.5 days but that was a grind. Sliced muscle meat not ground.
I have three people that only cold smoke their sausage meat. I guess it makes sense as you recook it again for consumption.
2010 Ranger Reata 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke
9.9 Yamaha Kicker
Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 AM
CAPTAIN

Bump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLP
Bump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLP

You don't cook when smoking. Meat is generally cured with a cure during the seasoning process. Smoking is for flavor, then the meat is dehydrated for preservation.

I just got a new wood fired smoker/grill from traeger. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM
CAPTAIN

Bump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLPBump Offical PLP

Interestingly enough, in the "old days", they used to dehydrate a lot of meat just by during it in the sun outside. The problem they faced was flys and bugs getting to the meat while drying. Enter the smoker. They found that if they surrounded the meat with smoke, it would keep the bugs away until dehydrated. Flavor from the smoke was actually an unintentional by product of the process
Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM
CAPTAIN

You know, duane... The old days. No electricity or freezes. When they used to carve in stone and run from dinosaurs.... You know

Back when you were a kid
Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
I-Da-Azzhole

bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP
bullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLPbullfrog Offical PLP

After the first batch turned out better than expected it was time for more!!!

Provolone sticks, jalapeno sticks, mozz sticks, sharp cheddar, mexican (favorite), colby/jack, and swiss. My lord it smells good around here

Term limits....
1 in office..... 1 in JAIL!!!!!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 AM
MOTORBOATER

Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP
Mac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLPMac-Daddy-Racing-212 Offical PLP

That'll make your poop stick together.

"THE TROUBLE WITH TROUBLE, IS THAT IT ALWAYS STARTS OUT AS FUN"

Rest in Peace: Steve Reis, Good Friend (1-17-14)

Rest in Peace: John Seipel, Father in Law (5-7-15)
Back Country Rebels - Forums > THE REBEL YELL > THE BUTCHER SHOP > Grilling, Smoking, and BBQ