Thread: Ranger 6x6
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
REBEL

theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP
theultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLPtheultrarider Offical PLP

I have a 2013 Ranger 6x6 that I used quite alot last summer exploring our great state. While I do love the machine, its not without its problems.

First to the tires. My dealer told me full factory warranty for tires up to 27". Anything larger and you will void your warrenty for the entire drive system. If that is an issue, that's good to know. With that said, I put a set of 27" itp xtr's on it. They are a smooth riding aggressive 6ply tire. I did however manage 2 flat tires with them in one summer. One was a 16p nail that wound up inside the tire. I sure wish we could still buy the old itp 589'S!

Next issue is the axles. Ive had no issues with the front axle shafts. Those are the ones most guys snap the outer cv joints when hardcore wheeling. I did however in one summer manageto pop 6 rear and center outer cv boots off of the outer large ends. I didnt tear any! They all just popped off. One trip I managed to break the outer cv joints on both rear axle shafts after the boots broke before I could get back to the road.

Plastic radiator fan. I broke one of those. I am told that is fair common for those that use them hard. The issue is when the fan is running with a warm motor, and you enter a cold river crossing. It can and will crack a fan blade. Man those thing shake and vibrate with one cracked blade! I am installing a toggle switch inline on the fan so that I can shut it off regardless of engine temp for deep water crossings in the future. That should end that issue.

It is an incredible piece of machine and amazing where the thing will go! They sure aren't the fastest thing on the trail. But man. Its crazy just where they will take you and comfortable doing it. Mine is my old man rig. Hard cab. Heater/defrosters. Lots of rigid led lights. Gun racks. Bring an extra charge battery with you or install a second one on an isolator. No starting one in the backcountry without a charged battery. Too often with these rigs you are running alone.