View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Mule's Avatar
Mule Mule is offline
"bcr forum security services"
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DM79LN
Posts: 29,686
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP
Mule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLPMule Offical PLP

Race Day 1. Meet up with the race official I'd be teamed up with for the weekend, load the pickup and head out to the starting line we were stationed at. Met up with the medic stationed with us for the day.
Figured out starting line, got signs up, tents up, tables/chairs up.

Course cleared by the "Zero cars" - run a sweep and make sure all the officials/staff/volunteers are in position, caution tape up where it needs to be, and that there aren't any filthy casuals on the course.

Couple hours later, course is cleared, and the first cars start arriving at our stage.

Race org was understaffed, and being in a small town there weren't a lot of volunteers for the event.
Day 1 was just myself, the race official, and medic at the stage starting line.
Medic was just there for medic duty, ensuring racers were all doing okay in the heat.
Race official had official duties to attend to - checking in cars at the stage, assigning sequence numbers and an "ideal start time".
I was there officially as communications and public safety.
But the race official needed a starting line control - someone to man the starting clock and make sure everyone's going out in the right order and at the right time. So I got to learn all about rally race timing.

This org runs things a bit different than the snow/dirt racing I've done. Interesting to get experience with other organizations, there's some things I like about the way they do things that I may bring back to the cross-country snow circuit I race.

Afternoon, small storm rolled through. Didn't drop any precip on us, but safety team at IC was watching the thunderstorms and taking reports from us in the field on weather conditions.
About 20 miles east of us, a cloud-to-ground strike sparked a small fire. "All units, be advised of a smoke column to the east, fire district is aware of it and sending response." The BLM squad we had on our stage cleared out to respond to that fire.
With the additional load on the state radio network of the race, along with response to the fire, as well as all the other everyday traffic (law/med in town), there wasn't enough talk paths between the sites - about half the times I'd key the mic, i'd get "bonked" from the system since all the talk paths were full. Command made the call to start shedding load to the other systems we'd installed. Did a "Roll call" on the linked DMR systems and resumed comms on there. Almost like we know what we're doing.

This was the first event the org ran a UTV class in. Four UTVs entered, only two started this stage.
After these guys ran, course was cleared by "Safety sweep" and "Heavy sweep", and we were released from starting line duties.
Headed back in town, got everything ready in my truck for the next day, and dropped my official off for the night.
Logistics team got dinner rolling - taco bar at IC. Radios back on the charger, refilled ice in coolers, and got some sleep.
Crazy, not stupid | "Helmets make it hard to hear natural selection calling."
N* WebChat on irc://
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
I am a Snowmobiler!

Last edited by Mule; 07-25-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: nunna yer bizness
Reply With Quote